[How To] Install Cydia Without Jailbreaking Your iPhone / iPod Touch Again!

Many users were facing some issues in adding repositories to Cydia after jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone and iPod Touch with Sn0wbreeze and PwnageTool. Today i am going to share two ways to reinstall Cydia without jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod Touch again. Both of these methods require a jailbroken iPhone / iPod Touch so that you may SSH into your iDevice using WinSCP on Windows and CyberDuck in Mac.

Cydia Photo [How To] Install Cydia Without Jailbreaking Your iPhone / iPod Touch Again!

Method 1:

1. Make sure your iPhone / iPod Touch is connected to an active Wifi connection and a valid IP address is assigned to the device.
    2. First of all you need to SSH into your iDevice.

Click here for step-by-step guide to SHSH into your device using WinSCP on Windows. After a successfull connection is established, click on the Terminal icon in the WinSCP's toolbar to launch the Terminal.

Mac users need to open Terminal by navigating to Utilities->Terminal and then use the following command at terminal. On using the command below, you will be prompted to enter root password, just enter "alpine" and hit the enter key.

ssh root@(iPhones IP Address)

• Now use the following command to first remove the current installation of Cydia.

apt-get remove cydia

• Use the following command to reinstall Cydia.

apt-get install cydia

Method 2:

*Find download links at the end of post!

1. *Download Cydia.deb.
    2. SSH into your iPhone / iPod Touch using *WinSCP (Windows) or *CyberDuck (Mac) and place the Cydia.deb in the ROOT directory.
    3. Type the following command to reinstall Cydia.

dpkg -i /cydia.deb

1. Now respring your iDevice by using the command below and ur done!

killall -HUP SpringBoard

Download Cydia.deb
Download WinSCP for Windows
Download CyberDuck for Mac

So there you go. Go ahead and try it out. If you face any kind of difficulty in following the above procedures, please feel free to share your problems / feedback in comments below. Also check out our Jailbreaks Section for guides on how to jailbreak your iphone or iPod.

marlon1 year ago

SIRVE GRACIAS

Noel E. H.1 year ago

By the way my IPod 2G version 4.2.1. Tnx guys!!!

Noel E. H.1 year ago

What would I do,? My cydia application is deleted? What are the steps to recover the cydia application? I hope you help me recover the application. Tnx a lot!!!

Patrick Gumban1 year ago

The easiest way would be to:

Download and open the latest version of redsn0w, click “Jailbreak”, make sure that “Install Cydia” is the only checkbox checked, and let that process complete.

Hope this helps!!

Noel E. H.1 year ago

How! In the safari? I try dat but the message was ” not supported on iPod touch (2nd generation)

This site is very old by now and does not support recent firmware, but you can still use it.

And where to find the checkbox checked? Pls help me bro!

Max1 year, 1 month ago

Really Ben Johnson?, how can you say this when in fact the iphone has to be JB’d to get terminal install!  What a bunch of bull! this is…

Some guy1 year, 2 months ago

I have iPod Touch 5th GENERATION

Abdul kuddus1 year, 6 months ago

I have a iPod that cannot be jailbroken and I really need it my iPod version is 4.2.1 and I try to use green poison and redsnow but it still ant working please could you tell the person who made this make anthor way to jailbreak it and hurry!

Nas1 year, 6 months ago

How can Install free cydia please tell me

Patrick Gumban1 year, 6 months ago

Hi, jailbreaking is free as long as your device and firmware is supported. Cydia will be available automatically after you jailbreak.

Matt Wu1 year, 9 months ago

Is there anyway to reinstall from the phone itself?

Maiko1 year, 9 months ago

where can you cydia download in AppStore ios6.1.2?

Adam1 year, 9 months ago

I was able to download Cydia and reinstall Cydia without jailbreaking by following the steps in http://jailbreakhome.com

Adam1 year, 9 months ago

I was able to download Cydia and reinstall Cydia without jailbreaking by following the steps in ???.?????????????.???

Brandon1 year, 10 months ago

To would work on I phone for shore

Mark1 year, 10 months ago

can i do this if i didn’t have cydia before?

Bob1 year, 10 months ago

Safari Won’t let me download cydia

Patrick Gumban1 year, 10 months ago

Hi, download the Cydia.deb into your computer and use an SSH utility like WinSCP and Cyberduck (MAC) to SSH the file into your device. You can’t download this file via Safari, I think. Hope this helps!

Ali1 year, 10 months ago

I don’t understand u

Dillon Travis2 years ago

Whenever I type apt-get update / apt get install cydia it says unable to read there is no such file or directory unable to determine location to save. I KNOW THIS IS KINDA LATE BUT PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Tyler (Jaxov Team)2 years ago

One solution we’ve found is to run quickpwn and select only Cydia.

Toni2 years, 4 months ago

Safari can’t download this file it says when I try to jailbreak the processes starts and end and than in the screen apple sits like that and the phone won’t turn on ! What should I do everything it’s stucked ! Help !

maan2 years, 4 months ago

how can i download the cydia, if my safari can’t access it :(

Kashjhum2 years, 7 months ago

My iphone 3gs has already jailbroken. But the cydia installer icon is removed by somehow.  Now how can I get the cydia installer again in my iphone ?

Bennymoya102 years, 7 months ago

go to sbsting
      tlick more
      2nd tlick hide icons
      3rd put cydia on ore all of your apps
      look at my videos on youtube bennymoya10

Lior K732 years, 8 months ago

i cant do this , i get this error  :
    (Reading database … 3306 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace cydia 1.1.3 (using /cydia.deb) …
    Unpacking replacement cydia …
    Replaced by files in installed package cydia-lproj …
    dpkg: error processing /cydia.deb (–install):
     unable to create `./Applications/Cydia.app/changes.png': No such file or directory
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe: 13)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /cydia.deb

Alcapone2 years, 10 months ago

well the system works.. just do some work and search for cydia.deb…. thank you your a life saver

VipersNest2 years, 10 months ago

I’m an iPhone 4s user. How do you install (not re-install) cydia on my iPhone?

Wira_yohanis092 years, 10 months ago

you cydia.deb links do not work. why not try posting new links. thanks

helena3 years ago

apt-getremovecydia: command not found
    what to do?

theKingJocK*3 years, 1 month ago

okay, so i’ve download cydia.deb and winscp, (windows 7 home premium), but i’m having difficulties of where to put the cydia.deb file. I mean, where is the ROOT directory? Please be more specific. And, when i’ve placed the deb file in the root folder what i think it is where to put, and when i commanded that thing, it says an error occurred. Please help!!!

You need to have been jailbroken already to follow this guide. This guide only tells you how to reinstall the deb on an already jailbroken device.

Tipdarath phal3 years, 2 months ago

So do you know how to update iPhone 3GS 16GB to IOS 5?

awe3 years, 2 months ago

Hi…

Its not correct title, should be “INSTALL CYDIA WITH SSH” only.
    Because to install Cydia with SSH required Device jailbroken.

That’s why the title has the word Again. I believe its understood. :D

kim3 years, 2 months ago

nothing is working for me…i have tried everything everybody else has said…first cydia disappeared…i fixed that and have it back, but it will not open…flashes and closes when I try to open it…when I follow above instructions, this is what i get…

apt-get remove cydia
    sh: apt-get: command not found

please help-this is so frustrating!

Tipdarath phal3 years, 2 months ago

What is “SSH”? And how to SSH into iPhone?

SSH = Secure SHell. Its a way of securely accessing data / executing commands on other devices / locations via its encrypted protocol. You need to be jailbroken first before you can SSH into your device. After that, use any 3rd party tool like iFunBox to gain access to it as its a much more easier & simpler than SSH itself.

mhay3 years, 3 months ago

hi i cannot log in to winscp or ifunbox. it doesnt work. what will i do? pls help. tnx!

Make sure that your jailbroken first. You need to have been jailbroken already.

Toniek3 years, 4 months ago

Network error: Connection refused
    this showed up as i tried to login using the WinSCP program
    please help

Use a 3rd party s/w like iFunBox instead. That is much faster & more reliable.

Alex511643 years, 4 months ago

it says u dont have to jailbreak. You need to get ssh in your iphone and you need to jailbreak 4 that! NUR!

The topic says without jailbreaking your iPhone/iPT again. It means, to start with, you should already have been jailbroken once.

Kuraizon3 years, 5 months ago

Does this work if i jailbroke my itouch 2g and took off cydia?
    do i follow the same steps?

Yep, it definitely will work and yes you’ll need to follow the same steps.

German mairena3 years, 5 months ago

I really want cydia for my ipot

This post is for those who have already jailbroken their iDevices but now wishes to delete Cydia itself. If you want Cydia, then make sure that you have jailbroken your iDevice.

Sulivan3 years, 6 months ago

Anyway I need to SHH to iDevice right?
    But the guide says I need Cydia to OpenSHH. But, Cydia is what I want to install! I don’t have it on my iDevice!
    Confused!

Read the topic buddy it says “Install Cydia Without Jailbreaking Your iPhone / iPod Touch Again“.

Salvador3 years, 8 months ago

How can I fix my cydia if this pops on the screen when i open My cydia Error database malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/source.list.d/cydia.list (dist parse) i tried winscp but the cydia app didnt apear on the apps i need help so plz help me

Benny3 years, 8 months ago

Hello ~~ Need Help ~~ I removed Cydia due to remove package (Cydia Installer) in Cydia Package, afterward the Cydia icon was gone ~

Is there any mothod to re-install back ??

I haven’t installed OPENSSH from cydia before, so cannot connect my iPhone by
    WinSCP in computer.

i downloaded pTerm , SSH Terminal and TouchTerm apps from Installous, how can I work on those ?

I already downloaded cydia.deb ….. how can I work on it too ?

Thx for advices ~~

Faust3 years, 9 months ago

/$ dpkg -i /cydia.deb
    dpkg: status database area is locked by another process

i get that what should i do?

First type command login and then it should pop up login. Type root as your username and alpine as your password. Once done, use dpkg -i /cydia.deb command.

Saurabh3 years, 9 months ago

I am sorry but i am lil. dumb in this thing . What is SSH and how does it works ?? how can i do it ? i have windows 7 and iphone browser . would it work on it ?

iPhoneBrowser or iPhoneExplorer do not give you Terminal access. Use WinSCP to SSH into your iDevice by following instructions here.

Saurabh3 years, 9 months ago

Hi Mate ! my problem is that i unlocked my iphone 3gs 4.2.1 and by mistake i deleted cydia. Is there anyway i can get it back ? Please let me know as soon as possible .

Cheers !

I suppose the above article answers your question. Install Cydia through SSH.

Dan3 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, however, I already solved the issue it by restoring to a normal 4.2.1, and jailbreaking with greenpois0n. Everything is now working as expected, but your response is much appreciated.
    Cheers

Dan3 years, 9 months ago

Wolverine, could you elaborate a little more on how to use iPhone Explorer? Since I can’t open Cydia, I cannot install openssh through it. I tried from the PwnageTool package selector, but apparently it didn’t work well, as when I attempt a connection, it’s closed by the iPhone (terminal: “Connection closed by remote host”, Cyberduck: “I/O Error: Connection failed, Premature connection close”)
    Is there a way to reinstall cydia using only iPhone Explorer or the likes?
    (FYI, I’m on an Iphone 3GS, 4.2.1, jb with pwnagetool). If there is another way to solve this problem, can anyone suggest?
    Cheers

Download Cydia.deb from here and place it in any folder using iPhone Explorer. Download any free terminal app from App Store and navigate to the directory where you have placed Cydia.deb. After that use the following commands:

dpkg -i /cydia.deb

killall -HUP SpringBoard

sexylady3 years, 9 months ago

i tried to shh with winscp for windows i am unable to get a connection. does it take long to connect

john4 years, 4 months ago

error processing cydia.deb (–install)
    conflicting packages – not installing cydia
    errors were encountered while processing:
    /cydia.deb

to make matters worse I installed the pdf patch and I don’t know how to uninstall it manually so I can re-jailbreak using jailbreakme

jesse3 years, 8 months ago

the thing is i dont have wifi, it says “no-wifi” and i have cloader but no connection to get cydia, so what im trying to do is download the ipa and put it on through itunes ?:( help meeeee!!!!!!!! 8====D haha