Downgrade iOS 4.1 to iPhone OS 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 on Windows & Mac

The following guide will allow iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G (MC & non-MC), 3G users to downgrade their device firmware from iOS 4.1 beta 1 to iPhone OS 3.1.3 or iPhone OS 3.1.2. The same guide can be used to downgrade these devices from iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 to iPhone OS 3.1.3 / 3.1.2. Unlike iOS 4.1 to 4.0 / 4.0.1 downgrade, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC) users don't require SHSH blobs saved for iPhone OS 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 for successful downgrade.

NOTE: If you have upgraded your iPhone to iOS 4.1 beta 2 then you might not be able to unlock it using Ultrasn0w 0.93 due to baseband upgradation. Moreover all iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G users need to have SHSH blobs saved for iPhone OS 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 to downgrade from iOS 4.1 beta 1 successfully.

Downgrade iOS 4.1 to iPhone OS 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 on Windows & Mac

*Find all required download links at the end of post

1. *If you want to downgrade your device from iOS 4.1 to iPhone OS 3.1.3 then download the iPhone OS 3.1.3 IPSW file respective to your device. If you want to downgrade your device from iOS 4.1 to iPhone OS 3.1.2 then download iPhone OS 3.1.2 IPSW file. After downloading the firmware file, place it on your desktop.
  2. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Follow the steps below to put your iPhone into DFU mode:
    • Start iTunes. Connect your device to your PC / Mac with the USB cable.
    • Turn of your device completely.
    • Now hold down the Home and Power button for exactly 10 seconds and after that release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iTunes detect your iPhone / iPod Touch in recovery mode. Your iPhone or iPod's screen should be totally blank at this point.

iPhone DFU Mode
    NOTE: iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC) users can skip the 3rd step and jump to 4th step. iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G (MC models) and iPod Touch 3G users should proceed to step 3.

3. Edit Windows / Mac HOSTS file:
  4. For Windows Users:

• Navigate to Start->All Programs->Accessories and then right click on the Notepad icon and choose Run as Administrator
    • Now go to File menu in opened Notepad and choose Open or simply press Ctrl+O. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open HOSTS file.
    • Once HOSTS file is opened, copy-paste the following line at the end of file as shown in the screenshot below
    • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Windows HOSTS File

• Now again go to File menu and choose Save or press Ctrl+S.

For Mac Users:

• Click Go->Go to Folder and then enter path /etc
    • Now open HOSTS file with TextEdit and add the following line with at the end of the file as shown in the screenshot below.
    • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Mac-Hosts-File

• Now go to File and choose Save As, uncheck If no extension is provide, use .txt and save the HOSTS file on your desktop.
    • Now replace the original HOSTS file with the one you just saved on your desktop. Incase you are prompted for the password, just enter it and click OK.
  5. Once you have successfully edited your HOSTS file, open iTunes and click on the name of your device from the sidebar menu.
  6. Select iPhone From Sidebar

7. On the summary page, hold down the SHIFT key on keyboard and press Restore button. You will be asked to choose the firmware file you want to restore, choose the respective IPSW file you downloaded in step 1. If you are a Mac OS X user, use the ALT+Restore combo to choose the firmware file.
  8. Restore iPhone or iPod Touch Through iTunes

9. Now iTunes will restore the firmware files on your device. Your iPhone screen will show you the restore progress. Just incase iTunes throws errors with code 1015, 1013 or 1011, just ignore them. Once the restore process is completed, proceed to the step below.
  10. TIP: If iTunes throw error 1015 during the restore process, use the instructions here to fix the error.

11. *Download Recboot, it is a free utility for Windows and Mac users which allows you to force your iDevice to exit from recovery mode with a single click. Click on the Exit Recovery Mode button to restart your device.
  12. RecBoot-App-For-Windows-And-Mac

Once you have downgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.3 or iPhone OS 3.1.2, use the following tutorials to jailbreak and unlock your device:

For iPhone OS 3.1.3:
Jailbreaking iPhone 2G, 3G & iPod Touch 2G(non-MC models) with Redsn0w 0.9.4
Jailbreak iPhone and iPod Touch 3.1.3 with PwnageTool 3.1.5
Download Sn0wbreeze v1.5.2 to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3

For iPhone OS 3.1.2:
Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware Through Blackra1n RC3
Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware With Blacksn0w Tool

Unlock iPhone OS 3.1.3 or iPhone OS 3.1.3 with Ultrasn0w 0.93.

Update 1: Downgrade iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 on Windows & Mac
Update 2: iOS 4.1 Beta 3 for iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS and iPod Touch 2G, 3G Released!

Download Links:

Download iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware
Download iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware
Download iTunes 9.2.1 for Windows and Mac
Download Recboot for Windows and Mac

Be Sure to Check Out:

sameer5 years, 6 months ago

thanks dear.

Pedro5 years, 8 months ago

Hi Wolverine,
    I have mbp “A” 10.6.6. with itunes 10.1.1 and my wife accidentally upgraded the ipod touch 3G (German version: MC011FD) to 4.2.1.
    The ipod is supposed to run on the old mbp “B” 10.4.11 with itunes 9.2.1
    I tried downgrading the ipod touch to 3.1.3 with both mbps but I never got past step 6. Either the verification ended with the message “the ipod could not be restored. This dev ice isn´t eligible for the requested build” or – if I was not online – it did said it couldn´t verify it because it needed to check with apple.
    Q.:
    1. which mbp should I use to downgrade it?
    2. Where am I making a mistake?
    (I changed the hosts, have recboot, downloaded 3.1.3…)
    Thanks a million!

2. do I need to be online for step 6?
    3. how do I get past step 6? – where am I making a mistake?
    (I did the hosts change, and the recboot…)
    Thanks a million!

margarita5 years, 10 months ago

i am dwngradin from 4.1 to 3.1.3 so i can use it for t mobile and i cant get passed step 2. i hve a 3g so i dnt need to do step 3 im guessin. error 1015 keeps comin up n it keeps askin me to connect my phone to itunes in which it has been PLEASE HELP

jørgen5 years, 10 months ago

Hi

does the phone get a wipe. Names, messages and apps?

What happens to apps that are upgraded?

Riko5 years, 10 months ago

I’ve trying to get it done for last 2 days. Cant enter DFU mode power button released it enters recovery mode. And when recovering to old 3.1.3 it comes up with error 3194? Any idea how to deal with that error?

You must restore in DFU mode when you are downgrading your iPhone firmware. Please mention your phone model as well.

kumar5 years, 10 months ago

the phone is in DFU mode only,but still i am getting this error 3194.
        I have OS 4.1 now in Iphone 3GS.
        Please help me how to proceed further

Make sure 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com is added to your Windows / Mac HOSTS file.

jdm type r5 years, 11 months ago

i got error 1015 what do i do?

Bryan Garcia5 years, 11 months ago

Hey! I got iPod 2G non-MC 8GB model, I got 4.1 FW and I already saved the SHSH Blobs, But when i Shift+ Restore it, it says ” The iPod could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible” I tried this FW “iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw”, What’s the problem? please help me.

Its because you downloaded the iOS 4.1 for iPod Touch 3G. Download iOS 4.1 for iPod Touch 2G from here.

Bryan Garcia5 years, 11 months ago

That’s iOS 4.1 right? If i restore that? Will it go back to 3.1.3?

I have one question I already jailbroken my iPod 2g in iOS4.1, is it good or should i still downgrade to 3.1.3?

Yes its iOS 4.1 stock IPSW for iPod Touch 2G. You can always downgrade from iOS 4.x.x to iPhone OS 3.x.x without SHSH blobs on your iPod Touch 2G (non-MC) and iPhone 3G. SHSH blobs are necessary only when you are downgrading from iOS 4.x.x to iOS 4.x.x. e-g 4.1 to 4.0.1

recom2735 years, 11 months ago

Whoever wrote this article is spot on, clear and concise .. You have saved my day

hoi5 years, 11 months ago

As i go to systym32 drivers etc hostfiles isnt dear.
    Can enybody help me?

Sorry for my English it isnt so good.

bfourteenone5 years, 11 months ago

I tried a downgrade as mentioned in your description. now i have the problem that i didn’t get out the phone from the recovery mode although i have recboot for windows and worked like you mentioned. no chance at the moment. my phone isn’t jailbraked or so. actual sodtware version on my phone ios 4.1
    do u have an idea?

Use TinyUmbrella to get out of recovery mode if Recboot is not working. The new version of TinyUmbrella supports this feature.

schizophrenic5 years, 11 months ago

how do you deal with Error 3194??
    It says “The iPod cannot be restored, an unknown error occured. Error 3193”
    I have an iPod 2G i badly need to downgrade to either 3.1.2/3.1.3..

iTunes error codes in 3000z basically represent communication failing or time outs. Make sure you are not using any proxy server so that iTunes could directly connect to Apple server for authentication.

Frank5 years, 11 months ago

Can’t get it done. Error 3014

Sp@Wn5 years, 11 months ago

I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 blackra1ned with new bootrom (tethered jailbreak). It has blobs for 3.1.2 saved in Cydia. It switches off automatically. So to get rid of switching off problem. I want to upgrade it to 4.0 not 4.1. i.e first upgrade to 4.1 and then downgrade to 4.0. Wouldn’t the baseband be upgraded if i upgrade to 4.1 and then downgrade would be impossible??? Please provide a soulution.

I couldnt find any guide for Tethered JB models so asking this question.

Directly update to iOS 4.0 instead of upgrading it to iOS 4.1 and then downgrading it to iOS 4.0. Baseband upgradation depends upon your jailbreak method. If you use PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3GS, it wont upgrade your baseband, so you can unlock it with Ultrasn0w later. Jailbreaking through Redsn0w will, upgrade your baseband.

PwnageTool guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC models) can be found here
      Sn0wbreeze guide to jailbreak iOS 4.0, 4.0.x & 4.1 on iPhone 3GS can be found here

skynet6 years ago

Start menu/run, enter: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and select notepad from the list.

calvin6 years ago

if i use 3GS,how to find Host file

Jack6 years, 1 month ago

After opening notepad etc, I don’t see a HOSTS file. The drivers/etc folder is empty. Is this where I enter 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com ?

Wolverine6 years, 1 month ago

HOSTS file is present in every OS. So if it is not present in your PC, you might be finding it in a wrong location. If you hv iPhone 3G, skip this step otherwise create a HOSTS file manually and make sure there is no extension of file! After creating the HOSTS file, place it in drivers / etc directory!

Jack6 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, I have 3g so I will skip the step.

i can help5 years, 9 months ago

you have to go on to control pannel and copy and paste C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on the address bar of the control pannel then u will see the host files :)

Nick6 years, 1 month ago

hey when i try this i dont get a error 1015, 1013 or 1011. i get error 3194. how do i fix this?