WordPress 3.0 Publish / Update Button Missing? [Solved]

If you have recently updated your WordPress to version 3.0, you might have faced number of issues. Some of you might have noticed that the Publish / Update button is missing when you try to create a new post or when you try to edit any post you have published already. Here is a quick fix which will allow you to Publish / Update posts in WordPress 3.0.

WordPress 3.0

Fix For Missing WordPress 3.0 Publish / Update Button

1. Login into your WordPress admin []
  2. Now click on "Add New" to create a new post []
  3. Now click on the Screen Options at the top right corner of your window and choose Column 2 and then Column 1 again.
  4. WordPress Columns

5. Thats it! Now you will be able to publish and update posts in WordPress 3.0.

Another problem I faced when I upgraded to WordPress 3.0 is that it automatically changed periods (.) in my tags permalinks to dashes (-) which resulted in number of 302 redirects which I noticed in my Google Webmaster Tools. So I reverted back to WordPress 2.9.1 which is much more stable than WordPress 3.0.

Robert Deane5 years ago

I find it impossible to bring back the update button with your solution. It disappeared today, previously it worked without fail. Lacking update and save, it is impossible to build out my site. Is there another solution.

Jason5 years, 6 months ago

The steps didn’t work for me. My WordPress blogs are still missing the public button. I tried the admin and 2 column option. I stopped writing on these blogs back in January because the missing public button problem was irritating.

I’ll bet the problem is with the html code in the template design. I can public pages, but regular posts are impossible. I would rather avoid revising posts on my Iphone. The WordPress app bunches up the content to make it appear as one large paragraph.

In my opinion, WordPress is a very unstable system. Even their customer support is ineffective with addressing the publish button problem. I like WordPress’s format, but this publish button will affect my decision to use the system. I haven’t prepared a post there in 3 months. Thanks for trying.

Lua5 years, 9 months ago

This solution didn’t work for me. Ugh…and I NEED to publish. This is outrageous.

Miroslav Balkanski5 years, 11 months ago

This solution doesn’t work for me. I have the button working for posts and quick press, but for pages still missing.

Follow the same procedure for pages as well.

Christian6 years ago

I LOVE YOU! Shame on WordPress!! I was playing with the databases and easily could have messed something up by trying to solve this. ARGHH. But seriously you are a life saver!!

Barnbas Nagy6 years, 3 months ago

Great, I was looking for my buttons too. It’s a shame to release wp like this.

Death Himself6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, it works. I will exclude your soul from “my list”, permanently. :)

Hahaha! Thats really funny “Death Himself” :D

Lili6 years, 3 months ago

worked for POSTS, but still can’t get the buttons to appear for pages. :(

Edie Parrott6 years, 3 months ago

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you! I thought I was going insane when I couldn’t find the update button!

Neill6 years, 4 months ago

Solved the problem of the missing publish button on my site. Well done and thank you

Peter6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, it really got me confused.

But the solutions was rather simply applied. Thanks for letting us know.

Rebekah6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for this tip. That’s messed up. How can WordPress release a version where the save draft and publish buttons are missing like this? It’s irresponsible!