MSFT.guy has released PwnageTool bundles to jailbreak iPhone iPhone 3GS on iOS 4. These bundles act as a workaround to allow current PwnageTool 3.1.5(Dev-Team official) create iOS 4 custom firmware files for iPhone 3GS, as the PwnageTool averts the baseband upgrade during jailbreak, therefore we can unlock iPhone 3GS by using blacksn0w or Ultrasnow. MSFT.guy has a history of modifying official jailbreak tools to add support for latest firmwares, previously he patched blacksn0w to work with firmware 3.1.3 05.11.07 baseband and recently he modified blacksn0w to unlock iPhone OS 4.0 Beta-4(now knows as iOS 4).
Procedure to jailbreak iPhone 3GS in iOS 4 GM with PwnageTool is farly simple, all you need to do is to add couple of PwnageTool bundles provided by MSFT.guy to current official PwnageTool, and it will allow you to create iOS 4 custom firmware files.
Please read the notes first before going through step-wise procedure/instructions.
- Please note that these are not official Bundles from Dev-Team, however with MSFT.guy's previous reputation, you may give use these bundles to jailbreak iPhone 3GS on iOS 4
- Final build of iOS 4 is couple of weeks away, so our recommendation is to wait for the final release and the official tool from Dev-Team
- The procedure is applicable for already jailbroken iPhone 3GS
- The procedure is for MAC users only
- Only try this if you are an advanced user, please don't try this if you a newbie
Procedure to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on iOS 4 GM
- Download PwnageTool 3.1.5
- Download PwnageTool Bundles for iPhone 3Gs iOS 4 GM
- Download data.tar
Add Bundles to PwnageTool
- Extract PwnageTool bundles you just downloaded, run official PwnageTool tool and click on Show Package Contents
- Navigate to Contents>Resources>FirmwareBundles and copy the extracted iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_bundle.bundle into FirmwareBundles directory.
Update Cydia in PwnageTool
- Move PwnageTool.app to desktop and open it.
- Copy data.tar in PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/CydiaInstaller.bundle/files/
- Now open the shell terminal and enter following commands:
tar xpvf data.tar
Create iOS 4 Custom IPSW via PwnageTool
Now you should be all set to create a custom firmware of iOS 4. The procedure to jailbreak iPhone on iOS 4 with PwnageTool is exactly similar to the one mentioned for previous firmwares, please visit here for complete jailbreak guide. Please note that the procedure is for MAC users only.
After following the referred guide, you should have your iPhone 3GS fully jailbreaked on iOS 4 GM. We'll keep you posted regarding iOS 4 jailbreak and unlock. Stay tuned.
iPhone 4 Jailbreak/Unlock Summary
Jailbreak: Apple has released iOS 4 final built/version. iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G users can use latest Redsn0w (0.9.5b5-3) for Windows/Mac to jailbreak iOS 4, and iPhone 3GS users can use PwnageTool Bundles to jailbreak iOS 4. GeoHot has also claimed to jailbreak OS 4.0 with Blackra1n tool, but tool hasn't arrived yet.
Unlock: As promised, after public release of iOS 4.0, Dev-Team has released Ultrasn0w 0.93 to unlock iPhone 3G/3GS running latest iOS 4 with baseband 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 and latest 05.13.04. Previously, Dev-Team released Ultrasn0w 0.92.1 to unlock iPhone 3G/3GS with baseband 04.26.08. iPhone 3GS users may also use Blacksn0w RC2 for unlock, but it's not an official tool and bit buggy as well.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback