iPhone Dev Team has recently released PwnageTool 4.0 (4.01 released) which is capable of jailbreaking the latest iOS 4.0 firmware on your iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC models). Before you will follow the steps below, please read the official notes from iPhone Dev Team here to make sure that your device is compatible with PwnageTool 4.0. In short, by following the guide below, you will be cooking a custom IPSW file of iOS 4.0 for your device which you can easily restore using the latest version of iTunes.
Unlike Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 this will preserve your baseband from being upgraded to 05.13.04 which still can be unlocked via Ultrasn0w 0.93 but still we would recommend you to use PwnageTool to jailbreak your device.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0
Note: Find all download links at the end of the post!
- Download and install the latest iTunes 9.2
- Download PwnageTool 4.0 and place it on your desktop.
- Download the iOS 4.0 final version compatible with your device and place the IPSW file on your desktop.
- Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your Mac via USB cable and start iTunes. Sync your iPhone with iTunes 9.2 so that it could backup all of your data.
- Start PwnageTool 4.0 by double clicking the PwnageTool 4.0.dmg on your desktop.
- Once its mounted, ignore the warning popup by clicking the OK button.
- Choose the Simple mode. Select your device and hit the blue arrow at the bottom-right corner of PwnageTool window.
- Make sure you have placed .IPSW file of iOS 4.0 on your desktop. PwnageTool will automatically detect the correct firmware for your device. Just incase it don't delect, switch to Expert mode and click on Browse for IPSW button to locate the IPSW file of iOS 4.0 you downloaded in step 3.
- Now PwnageTool will ask Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?, choose NO else PwngaeTool will upgrade your baseband to 05.13.04.
- Now PwnageTool will show the final popup after which it will start creating a custom cooked IPSW file on your desktop. Click Yes button to continue.
- Wait for 4-5 mins while PwnageTool creates a custom IPSW file which will be placed on your desktop.
- Once you see "ihaz Success" on your screen, you are all done!
- Check your desktop, you will see custom IPSW file cooked by PwnageTool for your iPhone.
How to Restore Custom IPSW File with iTunes
Plug your iPhone to your computer by USB cable and start iTunes. Click on your iPhone icon on the sidebar and once you are in the summary panel, hold down the "Shift" key in Windows ("Alt" key in Mac) and click on the "Restore" button. iTunes will prompt you to select custom IPSW file. Choose the IPSW file you created with PwnageTool 4.0 in the above procedure and wait while iTunes restores your iPhone to custom cooked (jailbroken) iOS 4.0. After a number of automated installation steps, you phone will restart and voila! now you have full jailbroken iPhone running iOS 4.0.
Unlock: Unlock iPhone 3G/3GS baseband 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01 and latest 05.13.04 on iOS 4 with Ultrasn0w 0.93
Update 1: Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0 with PwnageTool 4.0
Update 2: Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 4.0 with PwnageTool 4.0
Update 3: Fix 16xx Errors During iOS 4 Custom FW Restore Using iReb
Update 4: Sn0wbreeze v1.7 - Jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS (New Bootrom) / iPod Touch 2G (MC Models) & iPod Touch 3G