The following step-by-step guide will explain you how you can SSH into your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad using WinSCP. For those who don't know, SSH stands for "Secure Shell" and its a network protocol which allows you to transfer files and execute shell commands over a secure channel. If you have got a jailbroken iDevice, an SSH connection over a wireless network is the best way to explore its file file system.
Steps to SSH into your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad By Using WinSCP
- First thing you need is a jailbroken iDevice. Click here to jailbreak your iPhone / iPod Touch with Spirit tool. If you are an iPad user, follow our step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPad OS 3.2 with Spirit tool here.
- After jailbreaking your iDevice, open Cydia and tap on the "Search" at the bottom.
- Type "OpenSSH" in the search field and click on the result!
- Install "OpenSSH" on your jailbroken device. It will not install any app icon on your device but will only help you to SSH into your device through different sources.
- Now download WinSCP from here.
- Install and run WinSCP. Make sure you have an active Wifi connection on your computer and iDevice.
- Now enter your iPhone's IP address under "Host Name:" field in WinSCP. Incase you don't know the IP address of your iDevice, check Wifi settings of your iDevice.
- Enter "root" as "User name".
- Enter "alpine" as "Password".
- Click on the "Login" button and wait until successful connection is established.
- Now click on the terminal button in the toolbar or press "CTRL+T" to execute terminal commands.
You may also like to read:
- How to Install Backgrounder App to Enable Multitasking on iPhone & iPod Touch
- Top 10 Tips & Tricks for iPhone Beginners
- Dell Mini 5 [Dell Streak] Has Undamageable Screen!
- Smokescreen: A Flash Alternative For iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch