I just managed to jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G. I have both Windows and Mac, so i created two custom IPSW files by using Sn0wbreeze 1.6 and PwnageTool 4.0. As soon as i tried to restore the IPSW file through iTunes to my iPhone 3G i got number of 16xx (1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604) errors. Below is a solution that worked for me!
First i tried to restore the IPSW file which i created with Sn0wbreeze 1.6, each time i tried to restore it via iTunes i was hit by an random 16xx error. So i download iReb v3.1.2 for Windows but still after running iTunes through iReb, i was still facing the same errors. So the Sn0wbreeze 1.6 and iReb combination failed. Then i moved to my Mac and tried to restore the IPSW file i created with PwnageTool 4.0. Surprisingly i faced same errors in Mac too :( So i tried to download iReb for Mac from iH8sn0w's website but got the message "Mac version is almost complete!" :S
The only way i was managed to restore the iOS 4.0 custom IPSW file on my iPhone 3G is by importing the iOS custom IPSW file created via PwnageTool in Mac to Windows and then restored it using iReb v3.1.2. If you have both Mac and a PC then follow the steps below:
Steps to Fix 16xx Error During iOS 4 Custom FW Restore Using iReb
*Look for download links at the end of post!
- Copy the IPSW file you created with PwngaeTool in Mac to a flash drive.
- Plug the flash drive in your PC and copy the IPSW file to your desktop.
- *Download and install iReb v3.1.2 for Windows.
- *Download and install LibUSB for Windows.
- Connect your iPhone to PC and put it into Recovery Mode.
- Close all instances of iTunes.
- Double click on the iReb.exe and click on the name of your iPhone / iPod Touch. Click on "Open iTunes" button and thats it. Minimize the iReb app.
- As soon as iTunes will load, it will detect your iPhone in Recovery Mode.
- Hold the "Shift" key on your keyboard and click on "Restore" button.
- Browse for the IPSW file and iTunes will start to extract the firmware files. (STEP 1: Extracting Software)
- As soon as iTunes moves to STEP 2 (Preparing iTunes for restore), open the minimized iReb window and again click on your device model. You will notice that your iPhone screen will do a white-blink for a second and then your screen will go blank for sometime.
- Thats it! Now you have actually bypassed these 16xx errors by using this old version of iReb :D
- Let the iTunes do rest of the steps itself. You won't see any error if you will perform the above steps in the given order.
Upto this point, all i did is first i selected the model of my iPhone through iReb and then i launched iTunes through iReb.
Well i just shared this FIX because it worked for me! Many blogs have purposed an other solution to these errors by clearing the files in directory located at C:\Documents and Settings\
Update1: Download iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 for Windows to Fix 16xx, 1015, 29 & 21 iTunes Errors
Update2: How to Use iREB 4.0.x / 4.1 to Bypass 16xx, 1015, 29 and 21 iTunes Restore Error?
If you have any queries then please do share them in comments or feel free to tweet your problems @Jaxov.
Others Posts You Should Check Out:
- Fix iTunes Error 11 While Restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone, iPod & iPad
- Download RecBoot v1.3 for Windows, Mac OS X & Linux