You can enjoy full realistic Windows Phone 7 Series emulation experience with pinch, zoom and touch capability if you have a touch display. If you want to run Windows Phone 7 series emulator without pain of running complete Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 IDE then here is a short tutorial through which you can run this emulator directly.
Note: I am assuming that you have installed Microsoft SDKs and Microsoft XDE for Windows Phone 7 in C:\ drive. If you have installed them on any other location then navigate to that location accordingly during the following steps.
Steps To Run Windows Phone 7 Emulator Without Running Complete MS VS 2010
- Install development tools for Windows Phone 7 Series (Including Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows phone) from here
- Now navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft XDE\1.0\ and for look for the executable named xde.exe, its the executable for Windows Phone 7 emulator.
- If you will double click on xde.exe, it won't start the emulator. You can use it by passing certain command line parameters as follows:
- Assuming that you are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft XDE\1.0\, hold down SHIFT key, right-click and choose "Open command windows here" from the context menu.
- Now use the following command at command line as shown in the screenshot below
xde.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\WindowsPhone\v7.0\Emulation\Images\WM70C1.bin
Thats it! Enjoy complete Windows Phone 7 Series emulation experience without starting Visual Studio 2010.