How To Restore Factory Settings On iPhone / iPod Touch

Sometimes when hard resetting your iPhone or iPod Touch don't solve your problem then you need to restore original default factory settings on your iPhone via recovery mode. On restoring original factory settings you will loose all data/information you have stored on your iPhone, so it is always advisable to backup your data before you may proceed to the restore procedure. Usually iTunes automatically makes a backup on connecting and sync your iPhone with the program.

Note that there is a difference between doing a hard reset to your phone and restore factory settings on your phone. Hard reseting your phone will just do a force shutdown on your phone incase your phone is unresponsive to any of your inputs. So you won't be losing any of your settings/data after doing a hard reset. Meanwhile, restoring factory settings on your phone will delete all user data/settings from phone memory and will restore factory settings on device i-e after restoration your phone will be just like as if you have bought a new one.

How To Restore Factory Settings On iPhone

1. Turn off iPhone – Hold down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the red slider. Ignore this step if your iPhone is already off.
  2. Press and hold down the Home button for about 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with a text which says Please Connect to iTunes appears.
  3. Plug the iPhone into Mac or Windows PC. Release the button if you haven’t.
  4. 4364802035 627266ed3a o How To Restore Factory Settings On iPhone / iPod Touch

5. Run and open iTunes if it’s not already opened yet.
  6. iTunes will prompt a message that says iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. Click OK.
  7. You will be taken to the iPhone pane. Then, click on Restore.
  8. Wait for the full restoration process to complete, and the iPhone will be back to the original settings state as when it left the manufacturing factory, typically a working phone again if you face any problem, unless it’s hardware related.

Video Demo To Restore Factory Settings On iPhone

Recommended:

uyi1 year, 6 months ago

hi, I have an iPhone 5 registered with Vodafone, Ireland. can i use iTunes to reset my iPhone to its factory settings? will resetting my iPhone to its original factory setting unlock the phone to allow me use with other network providers?.

Ilir Hasanmetaj2 years, 3 months ago

i was tring to get version 4.2 wiht itunes on my 3g iphone, but was a error doring the update, and now i cant restore my iphione comes the error 1015,
    can help me help you guys.

Donna Vaughan2 years, 5 months ago

My husband bought me an Iphone 4 from Ireland which we have found is locked to Vodafone Ireland, we are in Australia.  The phone has never been used or had a sim until we tried in Australia with Vodafone. But it won’t accept it and Vodafone said to get a Sim from Ireland??? Is there anyway of unlocking this phone?

clang tanedo3 years, 1 month ago

i tried this but there is an error 3194.

Currently, if you do not have any SHSH blobs saved for your device / iOS, you can only restore to iOS 4.3.5 officially.

Johannsen3 years, 3 months ago

After almost 6 hours trying to restore my ipod, I came across this video instruction. My brother had tried to jailbreak my 2generation ipod touch with 4.2 OS and screwed it up. My Ipod would not turn off normally, Itunes would not recodnize it. I thought I had lost this one. Thanks man for your video. You’re awesome.

lito3 years, 4 months ago

i recently got my iphone unlocked and it was working perfectly then i used this app dat was meant to re-arrange my applications. in the process of using the app it told me to leave it be till it finshed but i hit the sleep button in the midst of its processing and now my icons for settings, contacts etc are hidden and i cant access them even wen searching for them. i receive calls n smses but cant make them. how can i resolve this?

I am not sure which app you have installed on your iPhone. Anyways, navigate to Cydia -> Manage -> Packages and uninstall that app to get back your invisible icons.

gag3 years, 8 months ago

Hi. I recently restored my iphone3 which worked out well except it asks for original service provider’s SIM in order to complete the restoration process. The problem is I don’t have that because after purchasing iphone i get it unlocked and moved to another country for my work.

Is there any way I can complete the recovery process?

Wooosh! You restored your iPhone even though you rely on an unlocked iPhone? I suppose your iPhone 3G has iOS 4.2.1 now with 05.15.04 baseband. You can only jailbreak your iPhone at this moment, you need to wait for the next version of Ultrasn0w now which will be releasing after iOS 4.3 is out.

Rob3 years, 11 months ago

Dude your the shit, thanks so much! your process walked me through it exactly how it really works. Your amazing!

justin3 years, 11 months ago

My ipod is frozen in recovery mode and it will not even turn on even when i plug it in to the computer idk what to do:(

Turn off your iPod and connect it to your PC through USB cable. Hold down the “Home” & “Power” button simultaneously for 10 seconds and then release the “Power” button but keep holding the “Home” button until iTunes detect your iPhone in DFU mode.