Google has recently released a software update for Nexus One, update included essential 'Multitouch' functionality for Nexus One, along with other speed/performance enhancements updates. Few bugs reported in earlier release are also taken care of in latest update. Initially Google released OTA (over-the-air) upgrade for all users, which means that users can update the software online and you don't need to connect your device to computer, all you need is an internet connection on your Nexus One from your service provider, later Google also provided software update for download as well, so now both option are available. Both Procedures are explained below, chose which ever suits you.
How to Update/Install Nexus One Software OTA (Over The Air)
You should automatically receive a message on your Nexus One's notification bar about software update available for your phone, please note that this will only happen if you phone is connected to internet(GPRS/EDGR/3G/HSDPA etc). Simply download the software update and wait for its installation to complete. Just follow simple onscreen instructions and you'll be all good to use it.
If you didn't get the notification on your phone, you can also route to Menu > Settings > About phone > Software updates in your Nexus One and check for any updates available OTA.
How to Download and Install Nexus One Software Manually
Please follow following step-wise procedure to upgrade your Nexus One software manually:
NOTE: Please note that following procedure is for the stock (Unmodified Bootloader, Recovery etc) Nexus One. This procedure will NOT work for Rooted devices.
- Download latest version of Nexus One Android 2.1 software update 1 on your computer, once downloaded rename the .zip file to update.zip.
- Connect your Nexus One with your computer via USB cable.
- Now you need to move/copy update.zip from your computer to your phone SD/Memory card, you need to make sure that update.zip is place in /root of your card, not in sub directories.
- Now turn OFF your phone and turn it ON again in bootloader mode, turn on the phone while pressing and holding the trackball and power button.
- Now to get in the bootloader mode, turn on the phone while pressing and holding the trackball and power button.
- Now you need to follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY mode.
- When your device will be in recovery mode, you should see an Android bot on your screen, to view the menu, press the power button and volume-up key once.
- Now select the second option "apply sdcard:update.zip" in the menu, which should start the installation process.
- After the installation process is done, reboot your device by selecting "reboot system now" from the same menu.
That's all! Your Nexus One should be on latest software/os now. You can verify by routing to Go to Settings >About phone in your phone.
To find more about Nexus One, please visit here.
UPDATE: Android 2.2 aka Froyo is out! Visit here for detailed procedures on how to Install Android 2.2 Froyo On Nexus One Manually / OTAContact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback