Revert Back from iPhone Firmware 3.1.3 to 3.1.2

Apple has recently released firmware 3.1.3 update. There aren't many changes in this latest firmware from previous 3.1.2 firmware, but still people are quite eager to upgrade their iPhone/iPod Touch to firmware 3.1.3. The ones who are on official carriers can off course upgrade without any worries, but upgrading to latest firmware isn't a good idea for those who are using jailbroken/unlocked iPhone or iPod Touch. We warned jailbreak users NOT to upgrade to latest firmware as well, as doing so will alter baseband of their device can lose unlock capability. OS 3.1.3 contains a baseband update 05.12.01 for iPhone 3G and 3GS. The latest Modem Firmware 05.12.01 baseband is not down gradable. So if you accidentally updated your iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS to OS 3.1.3 and you want to downgrade/revert it back to OS 3.1.2, this guide will help you to do so.

Couple of jailbreaking/unlocking tools for firmware 3.1.3 have emerged, including redsn0w 0.9.4 and sn0wbreeze 3.1.3, both of these tools are basically for jailbreaking iPhone/iPod Touch on firmware 3.1.3 anf they work as well. Problem is, they are not meant for all devices (iPhone 2G,3G,3GS and iPod Touch), also they work on Old Bootroms/Old device models only, so we again recommend to wait for a tested tool that works for jailbreaking and unlocking all iPhones/iPod Touch.

NOTE: This process will not downgrade your baseband, only your firmware will be downgraded.

Steps to Downgrade from iPhone 3.1.3 to 3.1.2

1. Install latest iTunes, click here to download if you don't have it. Now connect your iPhone to your computer.
  2. Now you need to put your iPhone into DFU mode with following instructions:
  3. * Connect your iPhone to your computer.
    * Turn iPhone off.
    * Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
    * Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
    * A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
    * If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.

4. Once your device is in DFU mode, you will see a message on iTunes stating "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode". Click "OK", Now hold Option key while clicking Restore in iTunes and browse the 3.1.2 firmware for your iPhone 2G, 3G. You can download 3.1.2 custom IPSW file from here. Restore process will take around 10 to 15 minutes.
  5. NOTE: If you encountered an error message like 1011, 1013, 1015, just ignore them.

6. Now your iPhone should be on firmware 3.1.2.

Disclaimer: Please try this at your own risk! Although this is a tested procedure, but still it's a workaround.

Please visit here and here respectively for complete coverage on jailbreaking and unlocking iPhone 3.1.3 firmware.

[via ihackintosh]

bibi5 years, 7 months ago

I’m using iTunes version

bibi5 years, 7 months ago

I have an iPhone 3G w/fw ver.3.1.3. I wanted to downgrade to fw ver 3.1.2 Got the iphone in DFU mode, followed the instructions above and got error message 1015. I click ok then iTunes says: detected an iphone in recovery mode, You must restore this iPhone to be able to use iTunes. Click ok again and on iTunes it just shows the name of iPhone & Serial Number and on the bottom is the restore button is the only hilighted one. (the iPhone displays iTunes & USB cable). I held on the shift key again and click on restore and started restoring the 3.1.2 fw again and after the process it’s back to the same error 1015 and same display on i phone.
    Please advice. Thanks & best regards

reef6 years, 4 months ago

i tried it didnt work as well! a message “your iphone could not be restroed because the firmware is not compatible” appear!!Any suggestions??

You are trying to restore an incompatible custom IPSW on your iPhone.

dan6 years, 5 months ago

does this work with ipod touch 2G?

kynell6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for your reply…but I did figure it out and it didn't work for me.
    Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck in Amman
    Jordan with no service and even though I have bought out my contract from
    AT&T and they provide no service here they will not unlock it for me.

Lo6 years, 5 months ago

For windows, the button is the shift key. (so hold shift and click restore)
    best of luck to you, I just got my iphone and am trying to downgrade :P

kynell6 years, 5 months ago

I have tried this and I don't seem to be successful. I am sure it is because I am using Windows and the instructions seem to be for a Mac. Can you give me instructions for doing this on Windows7.

I also downloaded and joined the 3.1.2 software your recommended but how do I install this on the locked Iphone. Do I need to put it in a folder of Itunes first?

My husband against my advice decided to upgrade our unlocked Iphones. Now I sound like a stupid girl trying to get them reverted to 3.1.2 so that they can be unlocked and we can use them again.

Ash Davidson6 years, 7 months ago

Hi, im slightly confused as to the above instructions. Where it says

“Now hold Option key while clicking Restore in iTunes and browse the 3.1.2 firmware for your iPhone 2G, 3G”

What is meant by the OPTION KEY and where is it likely to be found?

Psykeus6 years, 7 months ago

The “OPTION KEY” they are referring to is the “Shift” key. If you hold down the shift key and click the Restore button it will let you choose a .IPSW file from a local location.

I get:
      “The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred (1604”

Jash6 years, 7 months ago

Whenever I choose to restore my ipod touch with the 3.1.2 firmware, it comes up with an error that says ‘The iPod ~iPod~ could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible’. The file name that I used to try to restore it was ‘iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw’. Is that the right firmware that I need for an iPod Touch 2G? I downloaded the firmware off of ‘’.

darryll6 years, 1 month ago

Hey you are using the wrong firmware. You can’t use a iphone firmware for a ipod touch

Leira Nonnahs6 years, 8 months ago

I tried unlocking my iphone, and now it is stuck on black screen with apple logo. Forcing it to shut off doesn’t change anything, it won’t turn on anymore, and itunes doesn’t recognize it anymore. Any suggestions? I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

joseexodia5 years, 9 months ago

try putting it in dfu and restore
      good luck

Clif6 years, 8 months ago

Where is the custom FW listed above from?

KeyMan6 years, 8 months ago

I get [The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unkown error occurred (1600)]
    I made a copy of the failed restore log.
    I have a 3G on 3.1.3 that I successfully jailbreak with redsn0w, but have not been able to unlock. :(

Kivak6 years, 8 months ago

I get “This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.” at last step.