iPhone Dev-Team has come up with updated PwnageTool 3.1.4 for MAC for recent firmware 3.1.2. Latest PwnageTool 3.1.4 can be used to jailbreak the original iPhone (Edge), iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (1G and 2G) running on firmware 3.1.2. Custom .ipsw firmware files created by PwnageTool would upgrade your iPhone to firmware 3.1.2 without actually updating baseband of your phone, which is required to unlock your phone and run it on any carrier SIM.
- This version of PwnageTool is not for iPod 3G, click here if you want to upgrade firmware your iPod Touch firmware to 3.1.
- If you don't care about unlocking, and just want to jailbreak your iPhone, click here to read details about jailbreaking iPhone with blackra1n tool.
- Please note that PwnageTool 3.1.4 is for MAC only, Windows XP/Vista/7 users should click here for jailbreaking iPhone on 3.1.2 firmware.
Steps To Jailbreak your iPhone on Firmware 3.1.2 with PwnageTool 3.1.4
1. You should have latest iTunes version, Click Here to download if you don't have it.
2. Start iTunes and sync your iPhone with your computer, it will backup your data on iPhone to your computer.
3. Download latest PwnageTool 3.1.4 and firmware 3.1.2 (Download links are given at the end) [Also put these files on your desktop, so PwnageTool could find them easily].
4. After downloading PwnageTool 3.1.3, start it and select iPhone 3GS from device options.
5. PwnageTool will automatically detect appropriate Firmware version for your device as shown below.
6. Click on "No" when PwnageTool asks you “Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?”, after this PwnageTool will create a custom jailbreaked .ispw file for your iPhone 3GS as shown in images given below.
7. Now you need to update/restore your iPhone with custom .ipsw file PwnageTool just created. Start iTunes and select your device (iPhone3GS) from iTunes DEVICES tab.
For iTunes to prompt you for selecting custom .ipsw file, press and hold left "ALT" button on the keyboard ("SHIFT" button for Windows), iTunes will give you option for Upgrade and Restore, click on "Restore" option in the iTunes and then release the "ALT/SHIFT" button. iTunes should prompt for .ipsw file now, browse and select .ipsw file and restore it.
That's all! Leave the rest to iTunes :) You will see a progress bar in iTunes showing upgrade/restore process progress, if it's taking long, give it some time, the process takes some time, don't interrupt in middle of process as it may harm your iPhone device. After completion of process you should have a jailbroken iPhone running on firmware 3.1.2.
UPDATE 3: PwnageTool 3.1.5 for firmware 3.1.3 is available now for MAC OS X. Step-wise instructions are posted here to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPod touch 1G, 2G.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback