Upgrade / Install Firefox 3.5.4 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Firefox 3.5.4 has been released by Mozilla and is available for download. This short tutorial will explain how you can update to Firefox 3.5.4 from Firefox 3.5.3 or any other older version in Ubuntu (Linux). All you need to do is to paste one command in your Ubuntu's terminal and it will do the rest of the job for you.

Tidbit : Click here to learn how to upgrade to Firefox 3.5.5 in Ubuntu-Linux

How To Upgrade Your Firefox To Version 3.5.4

Download Mozilla Firefox 3.5.4 for Ubuntu.

After downloading firefox-3.5.4.tar.bz2 to your Ubuntu's desktop, right-click on it and choose CUT.

Go to your Home directory as shown in the screenshot below.

Paste firefox-3.5.4.tar.bz2 in your Home directory.

Now open any Firefox window and navigate to Help->About Mozilla Firefox to check the current version of Mozilla Firefox you have installed.

CASE I : You Have Previously Updated Mozilla Firefox

If you have already updated Mozilla Firefox in past to any version like 3.5.x then use the following command at terminal. The command below will revert back your Mozilla Firefox to default Ubuntu's version of Firefox which is mandatory for command in step II.

sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox

Now use the command in step II to install Firefox 3.5.4

CASE II : You Never Updated Firefox In Past

If you have never ever updated Firefox since installation of Ubuntu on your system, then you must have Ubuntu's default version of Firefox which is 3.0.8 for Ubuntu 9.04. Use the following command to install Firefox. There is no need for you to use the command in Step I. All those who have never updated their Firefox in past can use the command below directly otherwise first use the command in step I and then in Step II.

if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/firefox ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla ]]; then cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt && rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins && sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox && sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Thanks for using my tutorial. If you faced any problem during the upgradation process, please do mention in comments. I will try my best to answer your queries as soon as possible.

livinjean5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks a lot, I have crunchbang 9.04 installed recently on a old old machine, upgraded to firefox 3.6.11 using your case 2 instructions , worked like a charm, thank again.

Josh6 years, 6 months ago

I really can’t thank you enough for this, I updated to 3.6 thinking it would run better, but it wouldn’t even load. Then I tried forcing the version via Synaptic but it kept reverting so I was running out of options (I prefer Firefox to Opera). You saved my Linux install with this post!

Jaxov6 years, 6 months ago

Thankyou for your appreciation!

Adam6 years, 8 months ago

Great news! I actually used your steps for upgrading to 3.5.5 to 3.5.6 Firefox and it worked fine in Crunchbang Linux 9.04

I followed both steps (I and II) for the command-line downgrade and then upgrade.

Thanks again Jaxov for your tutorials.
    Adam

Adam6 years, 8 months ago

I notice that you have posts on how to upgrade Firefox to 3.5.5 which includes (in Firefox) some security fixes from the 3.5.4 version.

I’m going to try this now (and use the command in step 1 to revert FF back to its default) before performing the upgrade to 3.5.5.

I’ll post again with the results. Thanks again.

Adam6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks. Step II worked to upgrade Firefox to 3.5.4 in Crunchbang Linux 9.04

I have (on other distros) upgraded to 3.5.x Firefox using Synaptic, but for some reason the application became known as “Shiretoko”. A known condition (Shiretoko being the code name for FF 3.5.x). It was a minor annoyance, but for some others out there had compatibility issues stemming from the different App name.

Thanks to your simple steps I am now running 3.5.4 and the app’s name is still “Firefox”. I’m very happy. Thanks for posting not only the 3.5.4 upgrade but the others as well.

Cheers,
    Adam

gladys6 years, 10 months ago

hi there please could you tell me how to check if i have updated my fire fox 2.0
    to current how do i do that on ubuntu 7.4 linux.
    cheers!
    gladys

avo6 years, 11 months ago

Hello,
    I have never ever updated Firefox since installation of Ubuntu however I’m running version 3.5.3 of it, should I follow case 1 or 2 ? thanks!

Samar6 years, 11 months ago

Step II worked fine in Linux Mint Gloria. Thanks.

ds r46 years, 11 months ago

I have been using IE for a long time, but because it’s a slower browser and i get a lot of error messages, i decided to give Firefox a try.

Jaxov6 years, 11 months ago

You may use the same comment for Firefox if you start using Google Chrome ;)

Epiphany6 years, 11 months ago

Google Chrome? Why not use Epiphany instead uses the same rendering engine as Chrome/chromium (Webkit) and uses the familiar GNOME interface (GTK+)