Users on Windows don't have to wait for Windows version of PwnageTool or Redsnow, following is step-by-step tutorial/guide will help you to fully unlock and jailbreak iPhone 3GS with Firmware 3.1 on a Windows PC.
We are writing this post for those users who are on jailbroken firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1, new version of Pwnage Tool enables us to update to firmware 3.1 without altering baseband of your iPhone, for those of you who have upgraded to firmware 3.1 from iTunes but have saved your SHSH file to Cydia, you can still unlock/jailbreak but first you will have to downgrade your firmware back to 3.0 or 3.0.1. Click Here for details on downgrading your iPhone form firmware 3.1 to 3.0.
Steps To Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on Firmware 3.1 Through Windows
- You should have latest iTunes version, Click Here to download if you don't have it.
- Now connect your iPhone with your PC using USB Ports of your computer and start iTunes and sync your iPhone with your computer, iTunes will backup your iPhone data
- Now you have to download custom .ipsw file for you iPhone 3GS which has been generated using PwnageTool 3.1.3. Just Google "Download iPhone 3GS Custome ipsw file for Firmware 3.1" or "iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore", and you will get no.of links to download the desired .ipsw file.
- After downloading custom .ispw file, you will need to move it to "iTunes" directory in your computer, if you don't know path of iTunes9 directory, just go to Start->Search->Files and folder and type "iTunes" and hit enter, it will show "iTunes" folder in search. Open "iTunes" folder once you find it and paste downloaded .ispw file at following location:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Update\
- Now you need to update/restore your iPhone with custom .ispw that you downloaded for your iPhone 3GS. Restart iTunes, it will prompt to install new 3.1 firmware, DON'T update firmware from that box, just close it. Select your device (iPhone3GS) from iTunes DEVICES tab as shown below.
- To restore original settings on your Apple device, press and hold left "ALT" button on the keyboard ("SHIFT" button for Windows), iTunes will give you option for Upgrade and Restore, click on "Restore" option in the iTunes and then release the "ALT/SHIFT" button. You will be prompted to select .ipsw file, just browse and select the downloaded .ipsw file and restore it as shown below
That's all! Leave the rest to iTunes :) You will see a progress bar in iTunes showing upgrade/restore process progress, if it's taking long, give it some time, the process takes some time, don't interrupt in middle of process as it may harm your iPhone device. After completion of process you should have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running on firmware 3.1.
Download iTunes 9 for Windows
Update: Download iPhone OS 1.1 To 3.1.3 All Custom IPSW Files Directly