Finally a good news for iPhone 3GS users! Jailbreak of iPhone 3GS on Firmware 3.1 is possible now. Here is step wise procedure to jailbreak iPhone 3GS running on Firmware 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3. This version of PwnageTool is for those who are on jailbroken firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1, this new version of PwnageTool enables us to update to firmware 3.1 without altering baseband of your iPhone, those of you who have upgraded to firmware 3.1 from iTunes but have saved your SHSH file to Cydia, you can still unlock/jailbreak but first you will have to downgrade your firmware back to 3.0 or 3.0.1. Click Here to know more about downgrading your iPhone 3GS to firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1 from 3.1.
One thing which should be in your knowledge is that PwnageTool 3.1.3 is only for Mac OS X users. Windows users should follow the instructions posted here to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3GS running with firmware 3.1.
Steps To Unlock / Jailbreak your iPhone 3GS running on Firmware 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3
- You should have latest iTunes version, Click Here to download if you don't have it.
- Start iTunes and sync your iPhone with your computer
- Download latest PwnageTool 3.1.3 and original iPhone OS 3.1 firmware for iPhone 3GS (Download links are given at the end) [Also put these files on your desktop, so PwnageTool could find them easily]
- After downloading PwnageTool 3.1.3, start it and select iPhone 3GS from device options
- Right after that, PwnageTool will automatically detect appropriate Firmware version for your device as shown below.
- Click on "No" when PwnageTool asks you “Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?”, after this PwnageTool will create a custom jailbreaked .ispw file for your iPhone 3GS as shown in series of images given below.
- Now you need to update/restore your iPhone with custom .ipsw file PwnageTool just created. Start iTunes and select your device (iPhone3GS) from iTunes DEVICES tab.
- To restore original settings on your Apple device, press and hold left "ALT" button on the keyboard ("SHIFT" button for Windows), iTunes will give you option for Upgrade and Restore, click on "Restore" option in the iTunes and then release the "ALT/SHIFT" button. Browse and select .ipsw file and restore it.
That's all! Leave the rest to iTunes :) You will see a progress bar in iTunes showing upgrade/restore process progress, if it's taking long, give it some time, the process takes some time, don't interrupt in middle of process as it may harm your iPhone device. After completion of process you should have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running on firmware 3.1.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback