iPhone Dev-Team hasn't been able to come up with jailbreak of 3.1.2 Firmware, but GeoHotz has! GeoHotz was the first to jailbreak iPhone and then iPhone 3GS this year, they have done it again, GeoHotz has just launched jailbreak of firmware 3.1.2 for iPhone 2G,3G,3GS and iPod Touch, jailbreaking would be carried out with new tool called "blackra1n".
NOTE: blackra1n is a software which can only jailbreak iPhone 2G,3G,3GS and iPod Touch, it can't be used for unlocking. Plus this version of blackra1n is for Windows only, MAC version of blackra1n tool is expected soon.
Update : Jailbreak iPhone 3G 3GS 3.1.2 with balckra1n in Mac OS X
So, what is blackra1n? blackra1n is a 30 second ALL device 3.1.2 jailbreak. Even the ipt3, but the ipt3 is tethered. In order to boot it, just rerun blackra1n.
Pre-Requisites for blackr1n
- Your iPhone 2G,3G,3GS/iPod Touch should be on latest firmware 3.1.2, Download from here if you are still on previous firmwares
- Latest version of iTunes, Download from here if you don't have it.
Steps for Jailbreaking Firmware 3.1.2
NOTE: As already mentioned that blackr1n isn't for "Unlocking" purposes, so if you want to keep your "Unlocked" version of iPhone 3G and 3GS, please DON'T upgrade/jailbreak firmware 3.1.2 as you will end up in changing your baseband, and you won't be able to unlock your device.
1. Download/Upgrade your iPhone/iPod to latest firmware 3.1.2 by using iTunes, link given at the end of post for details.
2. Download Blackra1n tool for Windows (Download link is given at the end of post)
3. Now start blackra1n tool, Please note that if you are on Windows 7 or Vista, run the app with "Windows XP Compatibility" mode by enabling it from the "Properties" tab, it will prevent any unnecessary error during jailbreak process.
4. After execution of blackra1n tool, following window will appear, click on "make it rain".
5. Now just wait till your iPhone automatically reboot, blackra1n tool will automatically jailbreak your iPhone.
6. Aftet this, you should see "blackra1n" in the list of applications on your iPhone. You need to run "blackra1n", download Cydia and let it install it.
That's all! You have your iPhone/iPod on jailbreaked version of firmware 3.1.2. Enjoy :)
You may like to go through following tutorials as well:
- Youtube, WiFi, GPS Apps Not Working on iPhone 3.1.2 With blacksn0w / blackra1n RC3
- How To Enable Push Notifications On iPhone 3.1.2
- How to Enable Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 Jailbreak with MyWi
- Secure your Jailbroken iPhone from SSH Hacking With MobileTerminal App
- Carrier Logo Missing on iPhone 3.1.2 Jailbreak [Fix it Now]