Good news. Finally Dev-Team have released PwnageTool 3.1 to jailbreak iPhone 1G, 2G and 3G. Unfortunately this release of PwnageTool will not unlock iPhone 3GS plus the new iPod Touch. PwnageTool 3.1 is available for download and now unlocking or jailbreaking iPhone firmware 3.1 is not a big deal.
Steps To Unlock / Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1
- Download and install iTunes 9. [Find download link at the end]
- Now backup your iPhone data including apps, photos, music and contacts by synchronizing (Syc) it iTunes 9
- Download the iPhone OS 3.1 firmware, PwnageTool 3.1 and Bootloader 3.9 & 4.6 [Find download links at the end]
- Now start PwnageTool 3.1 and select your iPhone
- PwnageTool 3.1 will now automatically detect the correct firmware for your device
- Click on "No" when PwnageTool asks you "Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?"
- PwnageTool will now create the custom .ipsw file for your iPhone which will be jailbroken and unlocked
- Now you will have to restore your iPhone to this custom firmware 3.1 that you just cooked using PwnageTool. Click on your phone from the sidebar in iTunes to get to this screen as shown in the screenshot below:
- Your done ! Sit back and relax while iTunes installs new firmware 3.1. Installation progress will be shown on your iPhone screen via progress bar. After installation your iPhone will restart automatically and you should now have a fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2G. iPhone 3G on the hand will only be jailbroken, not unlocked.
- Once done, restore backup you made in step 2 using iTunes 9iPhone 3GS users should wait for updated version of redsnow and ultrasnow by Dev-Team in order to unlock and jailbreak their iPhone 3GS. Mean while if you have accidentally updated your iPhone 3GS to firmware 3.1, click here for a complete guide to revert back your iPhone 3GS from firmware 3.1 to 3.0
For Windows Users: Download custom IPSW for on iPhone 2G and 3G from here.
This will your unlock your iPhone on firmware 3.1 so that you can use it with any carrier SIM card. (for iPhone 2G only)
Now press and hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update”) button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button.
This will make iTunes prompt you to select the location for your downloaded custom firmware 3.1. Select that custom .ipsw file and click on “Open”.
Download iTunes 9 for Windows and Mac OS X
Download the Original iPhone OS 3.1 firmware
Download PwnageTool 3.1 for Mac OS X
Download Bootloader 3.9 (Required by iPhone 2G only)
Download Bootloader 4.6 (Required by iPhone 2G only)