Unlock iPhone Firmware 3.1 Compatible With PwnageTool 3.1

Good news. Finally Dev-Team have released PwnageTool 3.1 to jailbreak iPhone 1G, 2G and 3G. Unfortunately this release of PwnageTool will not unlock iPhone 3GS plus the new iPod Touch. PwnageTool 3.1 is available for download and now unlocking or jailbreaking iPhone firmware 3.1 is not a big deal.

Update : Unlock iPhone 3G Firmware 3.1 Compatible With Ultrasnow 0.9
Update : Download Custom IPSW For Firmware 3.1 On iPhone 2G And 3G [Windows Users]

Steps To Unlock / Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1

1. Download and install iTunes 9. [Find download link at the end]
  2. Now backup your iPhone data including apps, photos, music and contacts by synchronizing (Syc) it iTunes 9
  3. Download the iPhone OS 3.1 firmware, PwnageTool 3.1 and Bootloader 3.9 & 4.6 [Find download links at the end]
  4. For Windows Users: Download custom IPSW for on iPhone 2G and 3G from here.

5. Now start PwnageTool 3.1 and select your iPhone
  6. PwnageTool 3.1 will now automatically detect the correct firmware for your device
  7. Click on "No" when PwnageTool asks you "Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?"
  8. This will your unlock your iPhone on firmware 3.1 so that you can use it with any carrier SIM card. (for iPhone 2G only)

9. PwnageTool will now create the custom .ipsw file for your iPhone which will be jailbroken and unlocked
  10. Now you will have to restore your iPhone to this custom firmware 3.1 that you just cooked using PwnageTool. Click on your phone from the sidebar in iTunes to get to this screen as shown in the screenshot below:
  11. Now press and hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update”) button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button.
    This will make iTunes prompt you to select the location for your downloaded custom firmware 3.1. Select that custom .ipsw file and click on “Open”.

12. Your done ! Sit back and relax while iTunes installs new firmware 3.1. Installation progress will be shown on your iPhone screen via progress bar. After installation your iPhone will restart automatically and you should now have a fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2G. iPhone 3G on the hand will only be jailbroken, not unlocked.
  13. Once done, restore backup you made in step 2 using iTunes 9iPhone 3GS users should wait for updated version of redsnow and ultrasnow by Dev-Team in order to unlock and jailbreak their iPhone 3GS. Mean while if you have accidentally updated your iPhone 3GS to firmware 3.1, click here for a complete guide to revert back your iPhone 3GS from firmware 3.1 to 3.0

Download iTunes 9 for Windows and Mac OS X
Download the Original iPhone OS 3.1 firmware
Download PwnageTool 3.1 for Mac OS X
Download Bootloader 3.9 (Required by iPhone 2G only)
Download Bootloader 4.6 (Required by iPhone 2G only)

sean6 years, 1 month ago

i was able to jailbreak my first gen iphone. it did not unlock it. i put in my tmobile sim card and it didn’t work. just an fyi.

jamie6 years, 1 month ago

hello i did the steps downloadeded the custom ipsw file directly but nothing is different…..how can i tell if jailbroke it or not?

Wolverine6 years, 1 month ago

See if Cydia is installed, it means your device is jailbroken!

kuljinder6 years, 7 months ago

hii i am trying to install pwnage tool but there is no option of run etc there are just dmg file so plzzzzzzzzzzz help me how to instal pwnage tool 3.1

info6 years, 9 months ago

how to i download pwnage tool!!!! tell me plz

Someoneee6 years, 9 months ago

Does this work with the first generation iPhone?

thermanator6 years, 10 months ago

I followed the steps exactly as the site says but when my phone starts up I have no service. can someone please help me resolve this problem. Thank you.

Buddy6 years, 11 months ago

Hi everybody,

Is there any way to backup & restore the iPhone 3GS back to it’s original settings if something goes wrong?

I have the iPhone 3GS 32GB Firmware Version 3.1 with Apple Care.

Jaxov6 years, 11 months ago

Use the backup option in iTunes.

brown_under6 years, 11 months ago

Hi guys, Ive downloaded the custom ipsw file for windows users but the zip file contains multiple files and folders rather than the usual .ipsw file itself. Please can someone enlighten me on how I can change the folder to the ipsw?

Cheers in advance

JFBourne6 years, 11 months ago

Hey Brown what you have to do is unzip the first file and extract all the file inside into a folder in your desktop. Now create another folder in your desktop and name it whatever you want, example “ipsw”. Then go to the first folder you created and start unziping all those file inside. Every time you unzip a file extracted it to the second folder you created “ipsw.” Do the same for all the file inside the first folder. After you are done with all the file you will have a complete ipsw inside the ipsw folder you created.

raj6 years, 11 months ago

i have iphone 2g FW 3.1, itunes 9 and XP machine. i followed from step 8 and selected the custom ipsw file and the restore process started. but then it gave the error message 1604. How do i proceed with unlocking and jailbreaking the 2g phone.
    pl adivce. thanks, Raj

mani6 years, 11 months ago

I have the same problem as RAJ.

I’m stuck in restore mode with 1604 error

HELP!

thermanator6 years, 10 months ago

I had similar error (1600) and someone told me to just restore it without putting it in restore or dfu mode and it work but i now have no cell signal and don’t know why. so maybe try that but if you know of any help for my problem please respond.

scuba6 years, 12 months ago

Hey Bryan,

Do you have a link to a working IPSW file? I have D/L countless ones only to find that they wont work. Also will it still work if you have the new baseband version 05.11.07????

mark6 years, 12 months ago

Hey, bryan.

thanks m8! u just seemed to clear the CLOD 9 on myu head ;-)
    WBR
    MARK

Bryan6 years, 12 months ago

Hey Alex,

You don’t need to download PwnageTool 3.1 at all. I was totally frustrated too, until I realized that the custom IPSW file is available on the web. Download it, and then install it as above starting at step 8.

Scuba7 years ago

The above instructions are great if you are a MAC user but for windows users it seems to be more difficult to find detailed instructions on how to jail break a 3G on OS 3.1

Scuba7 years ago

what you say sounds like it alex but i cant find where to put the custom restore file on my computer so that itunes 9 picks it up for me to restore to.
    I had no idea that this jail breaking thing was going to be such a mess around.

Alex7 years ago

Hello, I am a Windows user. I cannot find the download of PwnageTool 3.1 for Windows. Is this mean that I don’t need the tool to create the IPSW file and just use the custom one from the link above ? i.e. I only need to download the custom IPSW file, start iTune, backup the iPhone, restore the customed IPSW file using iTune, and then restore the data from the iTune backup ?

Many thanks,
    Alex

Scuba7 years ago

Im confused. where are the instructions for windows users?

Tropico7 years ago

thank you, that was very helpful!