Unlock iPhone 3G Firmware 3.1 Compatible With Ultrasnow

This tutorial is about unlocking iPhone 3G firmware 3.1 via Ultrasn0w. iPhone 2G users can unlock and jailbreak their iPhone using PwnageTool here. As far as iPhone 3G users are concerned, they are requested to wait until Dev-Team releases a new version of Ultrasn0w to unlock iPhone 3GS.

Important : Before you may proceed all iPhone 3G users are requested to check their baseband version by the guide posted here
Update : Download Custom IPSW For Firmware 3.1 On iPhone 2G And 3G [Windows Users]

Steps To Unlock iPhone 3.1 Via Ultrasn0w

1. Download and install iTunes 9
  2. Make backup of your iPhone's data through iTunes. Click on the name of your iPhone on the iTunes sidebar on the left and click backup button
  3. Now follow these steps to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1 firmware 3.1 on iPhone 2G and 3G using PwnageTool
  4. Once you are done with the above procedure you can unlock your jailbroken iPhone using Ultrasn0w 0.9
    • Start "Cydia" on your iPhone.
    • Touch on "Manage" tab on the bottom.
    • Now touch on "Sources" as seen in the screenshot below:
    • Touch on "Edit" and then on "Add". You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type "" and touch on "Add Source"
    • Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps

• After installation is completed. Search for "Ultrasn0w" in Cydia and install this application (T-Mobile users should disable 3G before installing Ultrasn0w). This app will automatically unlock your iPhone so that you can use it with any carrier.

5. Restart your phone. Yup. Now you have got fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone firmware 3.1 on your iPhone 3G

irome5 years, 4 months ago

does itunes only intended for one device? or can be used for other device name? e.g. the itunes on my computer can be used with iphone 4 (my cp) iphone 3 ( my friend ) and ipod touch ( my neighbor )? am waiting for the info from my friend here. thanks…

Yes, you can use iTunes only to read the general information off it provided you DON’T SYNC. The iTunes library is intended only for a single iDevice. If you sync by mistake when the other device is attached, all the songs,music,apps etc gets erased from your friend’s iDevice and gets replaced with your library. Make sure you don’t click YES on any of the popping iTunes dialog boxes blindly. :)

irome5 years, 4 months ago

hello wolverine, i have a friend here in company got problem on her iphone 3G, the phone is from Japan and she bring here in Taiwan. The problem is she cannot use it here as it was no signal for any network here. Could you please tell what to do so that she can use it again. Note: the phone is already jailbreak. thanks…

If its already jailbroken, you’ll need to unlock the same via Ultrasn0w 1.2.3. Please tell me your iOS & Modem FW details from your iPhone Settings screen.

John OReilly5 years, 8 months ago

ive a 3gs with 05.15.04 baseband and ive tried this and its still searching for network

Ali6 years, 11 months ago

In my iphone There is no Cydia installed so how can I jail break iphone 3g on 3.1 firmware ??????????????/

Tayon6 years, 12 months ago

hi guys,
    i want to write to those who think they have a useless iphone that says “no service” and stuck. well…it happend to me too when i wanted to unlock my iphone 3gs (using ultrasnow) which is in 3.1.2 fw and 5.11.7 baseband…and 6.04..but failed..and was about to cry cause i was stuck with a bricked phone..but i the went back to cydia (MINE WAS JAILBROKEN WITH BLACKRA1N BTW) and then removed ultrasnow..and rebooted…it now works…i can use my phone again…its NOT UNLOCKED! but i can atleast use it again…i hope i helped atleast one guy who was in the same boat as me…

Tim6 years ago

Thank you so much, I regaind the signal by doing what you said :))

SimonG5 years, 8 months ago

Tayon –

Thanks so much for that. I was in the same boat. Followed yr advice, phone now working again.

Alex7 years ago

OK I’m totally confused!!!! I have upgraded and I think jailbroken and unlocked my 3G to 3.1 firmware and get No service with carrier set to automatic and unable to change – as per previous posts BUT I can;t work out what the solution is!!! I have tried various options with no success so now have a useless phone! In simple terms how do I fix it? Please help?!!

Dan7 years ago

Why are you guys causing yourselves headaches? Why aren’t you using blackra1n?

Jaxov7 years ago

blackra1n is only for jailbreaking, it change your iPhone baseband and then you won’t be able to unlock ur iPhone (This is if you are on non-official carrier services)

Stacda7 years ago

I am having promblems with Ultrasnow. I am jailbroken running 3.1 and downloaded Ultrasnow as soon as iphone 3G rebooted I either have searching or No service with Bars and I have wifi now I can get email but when I try to go on Cydia it kicks me out. I cant make calls or text UUUGGGGGHHHHH. What is the deal? I fear I am going to have to restore my whole device and rejailbreak my iphone but I wont use ultrasnow. If there is an easier way help me

Umair7 years ago

1.i have upgraded iphone 3g to latest 3.1 i noticed that it is unlockable
    3.i read your post i downloaded custom firmware for 3g 3.1 when i try to restore the iphone to custom firmware .it gives the error 1604
    6.Phone is not accepting custom 3.1 but original 3.1 is acceptable.
    7.i want to unlock /jalbreak
    8.plz tell me how to flash custom firmware.

Liam Dipala7 years ago

Suggestions for those having various issues.

1. What modem are you on? 5? then you can downgrade to a 4 (if you really want to get your device working) and then the Ultrasn0w will work for you.

2. Those that have mistakenly updated to 3.1.2 you can install phone with the original 3.0 with redsn0w and then do same with itunes with same 3.0 and then itunes with a stripped 3.1 firmware. Afterwards do step 1. your device should work just like mine, 3g devices that is…

Nat7 years ago

My iphone is 3g with 3.1 with a baseband of 5.11.07. Is there a way to unlock it?

norddeutscher7 years ago

Have a question for the group. I have managed to jailbreak 3.1 phone, however, wifi on phone does not work so I am struggling to figure out how to get latest ultrasnow on device. Can anyone help?

Jaxov7 years ago

Dear Visitor,

Please do reply to above mentioned queries if you have encountered any of above problems and you know the remedy, this is the only way you guys could help each other, since there are numerous different types of problems users are facing.

Happy Downgrading/Unlocking :)

Jhon7 years ago

Thanks! It worked :D

Just an advise for your guys, I m seeing that many of you are getting confused b/w jailbreaking and unlocking! Both are different things, jailbreaking is actually a pre-requisite of unlocking…

Brian7 years ago

People have to be careful when talking about “jailbreaking” and “unlocking” they are 2 very different things.

Anyways, I have an issue. I have a 3G that is jailbroken running 3.0 firmware, and unlocked using ultrasnow. I have read that re-locking the phone might prevent it from ever being able to unlock it again.

Is there a tool to upgrade it to 3.1 firmware without having to lock it? For example just jailbreaking it all over again but the with new 3.1 ISP. In other words how do I upgrade my firmware without worrying about it changing my baseband?

Brock Samsin7 years ago

I did the following and it worked perfectly for me.. I lost full network service and regained it all and am running the following;

1. iPhone 3G 0S 3.1
    2. Fully unlocked + network funtionality on 3.1
    3. ROGERS (CANADA) Network 3G WORKING.

Download CUSTOMER .IPSW off PirateBay from here

Then using ITUNES 9.0 I did a SHIFT-RESTORE to that firmware.
    -First off I lost network service but it installed (with a cydia icon working cydia hack right off the bat).

Finally, I downloaded the source and added 3.1 Sync etc.

I also downloaded to RESTORE NETWORK FUNCTIONALITY –

I installed, it prompted for REBOOT of device. Once reboot completed I had full network again and I am rocking a 3.1 Unlocked / Jailbroken Device.

THANKS ALL and I hope the info helps!

Liam Baker7 years ago

When updating the the iphone 3G to 3.1 it changes the baseband.The Dev team havnt yet found a hole to unlock the iphones with this new baseband. All we can do is wait untill ultrasn0w is updated! It sucks i know but the instructions should of been read really. lol im in the same boat.

Brock Samsin7 years ago

If the Network under Settings simply shows as searching … I am not sure if that works for you but my phone still has 3G service and runs on Rogers just fine.

But mine as well simply shows SEARCHING if I click on Network, however that might be due to only having Rogers service (which is the same as FIDO) offering service in Canada..

Not sure, but the above worked to resolve all issues for me.

sAAd7 years ago

WeLl i aCcIdEnTaLlY uPgRaDe mY IphOnE 3g fRm 3.0 tO 3.1 wItH BaSe bAnD 5.11 …..N mY WiFi iS GrEyEd oUt mEaNz nO WiFi ……AnY SuGgEsTiOnS >? pLzZz hElP iTs lOcKeD

shootemup7 years ago

Exact same issue here??? iPhone 3g 8GB 3.1 05.11.07 and just continuously shows “searching”. Any suggestions?

Karina7 years ago

Oops, forgot to add this.
    When I check on general where it says “about” it says the sim card name on it so I guess it’s reading it but I’m still not getting any signal. It says searching. any suggestions?

Karina7 years ago

So I did this and everything worked but now it’s stuck on searching for signal and carrier is set to automatic and it’s also telling me that it’s unable to load network list, why? Help please !!! I’ve gotten so close to fully unlocking my phone :/

phil7 years ago

ive got the same problem as Matt and JR, ive done the jail break and ive got the Cydia icon but no icy one ?

im using a 3G 3.1 8GB iphone

its comes up with searching but wont find any network (im on 02) in the UK. and when i check the carriers it comes up with can’t find carrier list….

JR7 years ago

I’m in the boat as Matt.
    I’ve done the procedures to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3G 3.1
    I’m getting the Cydia and Icy icons but I cannot get a service with any SIM card (I’ve tried 3 so far).
    “No Service” is shown in the top left corner where “O2 UK” used to be.
    I keep getting “Unable to load network list” when I check the “carriers” list in Settings (it’s set to automatic and won’t change).
    Any ideas appreciated.

cornequa7 years ago

well the problem is that ultrasn0w dosent unlock the 3.1 version for the iphone so like ive been getting i guess we have to wait around for devs team so…………..

fifi7 years ago

If you iphone was initially updated to 3.1 through itunes and not through pwnage. Then your baseband has been upgraded to the 5.11.07 baseband> so you can only jailbreak and not unlock phone. I found this out the hard way. Only certain phones manufactured by iphone before 2008 can get their baseband downgraded and therefore unlock the phones with the unlcok software> so we are all stuck untill that is rectified if ever. PS

Matt7 years ago

Hey i tried adding this source on cydia and installing it and it all worked but my phone says no service still, I got an iPhone 3g jailbroken on 3.1 firmware, any help?

Bob7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for posting this! I upgraded my 3G from 3.0 to 3.1 with Pwnage 3.1, but noticed that cellular service wasn’t working (using Orange in the Middle East). Reading through you post, I realized that my G3 was only jailbroken and not unlocked. I followed your steps and now I’m unlocked and making calls. Thanks!

iPhone Dev Team is great with what they do. But explaining things is definitely not their strength.