This tutorial is about unlocking iPhone 3G firmware 3.1 via Ultrasn0w. iPhone 2G users can unlock and jailbreak their iPhone using PwnageTool here. As far as iPhone 3G users are concerned, they are requested to wait until Dev-Team releases a new version of Ultrasn0w to unlock iPhone 3GS.
Important : Before you may proceed all iPhone 3G users are requested to check their baseband version by the guide posted here
Update : Download Custom IPSW For Firmware 3.1 On iPhone 2G And 3G [Windows Users]
Steps To Unlock iPhone 3.1 Via Ultrasn0w
- Download and install iTunes 9
- Make backup of your iPhone's data through iTunes. Click on the name of your iPhone on the iTunes sidebar on the left and click backup button
- Now follow these steps to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1 firmware 3.1 on iPhone 2G and 3G using PwnageTool
- Once you are done with the above procedure you can unlock your jailbroken iPhone using Ultrasn0w 0.9
- Start "Cydia" on your iPhone.
- Touch on "Manage" tab on the bottom.
- Now touch on "Sources" as seen in the screenshot below:
- Touch on "Edit" and then on "Add". You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" and touch on "Add Source"
- Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps
- After installation is completed. Search for "Ultrasn0w" in Cydia and install this application (T-Mobile users should disable 3G before installing Ultrasn0w). This app will automatically unlock your iPhone so that you can use it with any carrier.