Revert / Downgrade iPhone 3GS Firmware 3.1 To 3.0

Yes now you can revert back your iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1 to firmware 3.0. Previously we shared method to downgrade your iPhone firmware from 3.1 to 3.0.1, however this time Jay Freeman found a way to downgrade from firmware 3.1 to 3.0. Jay Freeman is the developer behind the well-known Cydia store for iPhone. Note that the process below will only work for those who have saved their SHSH to Cydia Server. You may read more about SSH from this blog post by Saurik. This process will downgrade your iPhone firmware from 3.1 to 3.0 but you baseband firmware will not be downgraded which means you won't be able to unlock it for now.

Update : Unlock iPhone Firmware 3.1 Compatible With PwnageTool 3.1
Update : Unlock iPhone 3G Firmware 3.1 Compatible With Ultrasnow 0.9

Downngrade From 3.1 To 3.0

1. Download and install iTunes 9 (Find download link at the end of post)
  2. Now download firmware 3.0 for iPhone 3GS (Find download link at the end of post)
  3. Note: Don’t use iPhone firmware 3.0.1 because Saurik’s Server does not have signatures for firmware 3.0.1 uptill now.

4. Now you have to block 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com by using hosts file
  5. For Windows:
    Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and double-click on the host file, choose Notepad or Wordpad to open it. In Windows 7 you have to run Notepad as Administrator so right clicking on "Notepad" app, and choose "Run as Administrator".
    For Mac OS X:
    Mac users can access "/etc/" directory by going through "Go->Go to Folder" from Finder. After finding hosts file, open it via TextEdit.

Hosts File Location

6. Now add the following code in a new line as shown in the screenshot. Click save and close the hosts file
  7. 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Add New Line To Hosts File

8. Connect your iPhone to your computer and put it in DFU mode by: Hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, letting go of the power button but continuing to hold home until iTunes recognizes the device with the message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes". At this point your iPhone screen should be entirely black.
  9. Now connect your iPhone to your computer and start iTunes 9, in Microsoft Windows click Shift+ Restore and in Mac OS X Option+Restore
  10. Restore

11. Now select firmware 3.0 ispw file we downloaded in step 2 and restore it. You might see the following error. Just ignore it
  12. The iPhone "your iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. (1015)

13. Just ignore this error and restart the restoring process from Step 6 to Step 7 until you get the 1015 error again. At this point, simply ignore the error and close iTunes as your device has already been successfully downgraded to firmware 3.0

Update : Revert Back from iPhone Firmware 3.1.3 to 3.1.2

Download iTunes 9
Download iPhone OS 3.0 firmware for iPhone 3GS

tom6 years, 5 months ago

it says the device is not eligible

wafula6 years, 9 months ago

this sucks! what if one does not know the model or operating system is and cannot not open the iphone. when i turn on my iphone i get a message “slide for emergency” and an itune icon at the top of the phone screen. help?

Aziz6 years, 9 months ago

thanks

hmong6 years, 9 months ago

it works for me and not you so too bad so try harder

tun6 years, 10 months ago

i want to downgrade to 3.0

norman6 years ago

I only have few days to complete. I am so lost. I thought you had links that revert my phone back to ios 3.1 and then step by step. I am not into the heavy duty stuff. Please help!!

Chris7 years, 1 month ago

This works…sort of. My 3GS was at 3.1.2, I have a 3.0 SHSH with Cydia – I followed instructions and it did exactly as advertised – including redsn0w 0.8 JB. Problem is that after the downgrade and JB the phone will not activate – no signal at all.

I went back to 3.1.2, phones works perfectly. Downgraded again, and again, smooth process – but no activation, no signal.

Any ideas?

Joe7 years, 1 month ago

Same problem here – Day 1 3gs, “The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.”

Adrian7 years, 1 month ago

awesome. This worked. I had internet tethering than stupid 3.1 “ruinz it”. Just to follow up, this guide didnt work out for me. What i ended up with is an Iphone in recovery mode…and it wouldnt get out. So i searched on the internet for how to get out of recovery mode and it gave me a reset non activated phone. I opened itunes…And i think this part is the key, I made a backup of my phone with firmware 3.0 a while ago probably when i upgraded it. But in this mode, basically wiped free, it allowed me to restore to that backup. and back to iphone 3.0.
    I have an iphone 3G not S
    So steps.
    1.)Get into recovery mode.
    2. Do the reset procedure.(i DONT KNOW IF QUICKPWN HAD anything to do with it but i opened quick pawn and it told me to do press home+power button for 10 seconds, then press power button for 2 seconds) so i dont know if quickpwn deleted evertyhing or if its that little 2 steps but it gave me a non activated phone screen.
    3. Opened ituned and restored from a backup.

Just to recap, i already had a backup. So this may work for those with a totaly not working phone after trying the different downgrade guides on the internet. And i never gave up to the idea of getting 3.1.2 firmware cuz who knows what else att is going to block next.
    Iphone 3.0 for life…..UNLESS the guys at http://help.benm.at/help.php figure out how to get tethering to work on newer firmwares.

Blackzilla7 years, 1 month ago

If anyone is having problems saving the “Host” file with the address block follow this. First off to explain why it’s not saving is because we are not the “owner” of the folder, your cpu system is. So to change this follow these instructions.

Open Finder, go to “Go” then scroll down to “Go to Folder.” Type in /etc/ then hit enter. Change the “View” to Columns if your not already. Click on the “etc” to highlight the folder then click the “ctrl” button. Select the “Get info” (If you see a “lock-icon” click it to unlock so you can make changes. Go down to “Ownership & Permission” Click “Details” to bring down list. Under the “Owner” change to your name or whatever name the computer is named which your using. Close then open “Host” file to type in block address and you should be able to save.

Sid7 years, 1 month ago

I am also getting “The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.”

Any solutions yet? Please advise

Sid

Ben7 years ago

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I also have it…..

Jaxov7 years, 1 month ago

For all those who get the error “device isn’t eligible for the requested build” just keep trying and it should work eventually provided you have your data on file with cydia. It took me 4 tries after getting the “device isn’t eligible for the requested build” error before it worked.

Willie7 years, 2 months ago

Hi All

Any solutions yet? Please

Willie

Nguyen7 years, 2 months ago

I got same problem with Sam:
    Any help?
    Is that because the iPhone has 3.1 from factory?

digger7 years, 2 months ago

I can’t save the apple address in notepad…

Any ideas?

Harry6 years, 5 months ago

If it says that you need to contact an administrator then you have to run notepad as an administrator by right clicking on notepad.exe and click “run as administrator”.

ChrisS8197 years, 2 months ago

I entered 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com into my host fils but when I put my phone in DFU mode and goto itunes and try to restore to the 3.0 firmware I get a message saying the firmware is not compatable. Anyone have any ideas?

ray7 years, 2 months ago

its not getting save on mac d text edit file

please help

Ishanka7 years, 2 months ago

Henning Ras

on a Mac you need to click Shift+Command+G or on Finder click Go>Go To Foler and time /etc/ to find the hosts file.

Henning Ras7 years, 2 months ago

I cannot find the /etc/ file on a MACBOOK. Can some one tell me where to get it.

My mobile number in the UK is 0944 7763 11 3535.

Can you PLEASE TXT me an answer.

Kind Regards

Henning Ras

kenny7 years, 2 months ago

my 3gs got error 3002
    i don’t know what apple thinking ! they don’t let us unlock. no one buy their phone. when people don’t buy their phone they’ll make unlock iphone easier
    my next phone will be androi os

Steve7 years, 2 months ago

@ Sam
    I’m getting the same error – not letting me downgrade … bummer.

Angel7 years, 2 months ago

Yesterday I was able to downgrade and jailbreak the phone. Unfortunately I was never able to activate it, so I had no signal at all… I did it on a Vista pc. I’m trying to do it on an XP, but no luck so far.

I hate APPLE!!

Apple A Day7 years, 2 months ago

If you hate Apple then why do you own an Apple iphone – duhhh!

Oli7 years, 2 months ago

@Sam

I had this too. Make sure u update ur iphone to 3.1 then try and downgrade to 3.0 I did this although it didnt work :(

k-von7 years, 2 months ago

i got the same as sam
    can someone please help

Yee_Ha7 years, 2 months ago

What about MMS after the downgrade? Install AT&T’s ipcc file 5.5? Has anyone tried this yet?

Sam7 years, 2 months ago

When I tried to do this it came up with a message saying “The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.”
    could someone please provide me with some assistance.
    thanks

abogdab7 years, 2 months ago

Ya I got the same exact messege as Sam’s. ive been trying every single method of JB my iphone 3gs 3.1 now trying to at least downgrade using all these stupid methos on the web and nothen at all is working. wat a waist of time the first ever iphone.easy to use and jb,then unlock.

Jeb6 years, 8 months ago

stephen7 years, 2 months ago

sorry thats what i meant i downgraded it but got no service

frank7 years, 2 months ago

Stephen, we’re talking about downgrading, not jailbreaking.

stephen7 years, 2 months ago

Did this it jailbreaks it But i didnt get any signal on the phone

Warren7 years, 2 months ago

Looking at other sites, looks like if you get 3002 you’re out of luck until a full Jailbreak for 3GS 3.1 is available… Bummer…

If only these iPhones were as OPEN as Windows Mobile Devices (I miss my HTC Touch!!!)… While you can modify your iPhone, clearly Apple is trying very hard to prevent you from doing so. Microsoft clearly does not…

Anthony7 years, 2 months ago

Has anyone successfully done this to their 3GS with 3.1?