Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

If you have upgraded your iPhone (3G, 2G) firmware to 3.1 then you might have lost your Ultrasn0w lock forever (Dev-Team). Fortunately there is way to revert back / downgrade your iPhone firmware 3.1 to firmware 3.0.1 if you have iPhone 3G or iPhone 2G. The procedure below might not work on iPhone 3GS. After you might have downgraded your iPhone firmware to 3.0.1, you may jailbreak it by using the iPhone OS 3.0.1 jailbreak guide.

3918462181 562323a2fd o Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

Update : Unlock iPhone Firmware 3.1 Compatible With PwnageTool 3.1
Update : Unlock iPhone 3G Firmware 3.1 Compatible With Ultrasnow 0.9
Update : Now you can also revert back from iPhone 3GS firmware 3.1 to 3.0

Follow These Simple Steps

1. Download and install iTunes 9 from here
  2. Download iPhone firmware 3.0.1 for your iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS
  3. Download firmware for iPhone 3GS
    Download firmware for iPhone 3G
    Download firmware for iPhone 2G

4. Now you have to place the downloaded ispw file in the following locations depending upon your Operating System
  5. Mac OS X: "~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates"
    Windows 7: "\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"
    Windows Vista: "\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"
    Windows XP: "\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"

6. Now connect your iPhone to your computer and start iTunes 9, in Microsoft Windows click Shift+ Restore and in Mac OS X Option+Restore
  7. 3918462233 27057e23f7 Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

8. Now select firmware 3.0.1 ispw file and restore it. You might see the following error. Just ignore it.
  9. The iPhone "your iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. (1015)

10. Your phone will now be in recovery mode, showing iTunes logo and usb connector.
  11. Download QuickPwn 2.2-1 and perform the procedure prompted to you by QuickPwn to reset your device:
  12. 3918462009 02d8fb9623 o Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

3919247266 8875ba3057 o Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

13. Once your iPhone has restarted, close QuickPwn
  14. Start iTunes again with the original AT&T SIM card. iTunes should now show the firmware version as either 3.0 or 3.0.1 depending on which ever firmware you downloaded in step 2
  15. 3918462485 21e157a1f8 Revert Back From iPhone Firmware 3.1 To Firmware 3.0.1 using QuickPWN

16. After the downgrade you can unlock / jailbreak your iPhone firmware 3.0.1. See the complete step by step guide to jailbreak firmware 3.0.1 here

UPDATE: If you want to revert Back/downgrade from iPhone Firmware 3.1.3 to 3.1.2. Please follow step-wise instruction posted here.

joe histed3 years, 2 months ago

i could not follow steps i would like a more straight forward plug phone in and push enter

Starman3 years, 3 months ago

Help please. i have the 1st gen iPhone, vers 1.1.4, i have never made any updates thru Itunes. i’m thinking of upgrading now to 2.0 or higher. Which step by step instructions should i use. i’m presently using itunes vers 10 (but never updated). my iphone is from US, i’m from canada, and i still have my original ATT sim card that came with it, but not using that, presently using canadian carrier sim card.
    any help?

Ja1000zao3 years, 7 months ago

And now my iphone 3G is showing no service?

Ja100zao3 years, 7 months ago

Hi how many iphone am l allowed to unlock if i have got an account for live, with you.
    for have tried twece on my second iphone 3G and it failed. Why?
    my question is: iphones am l alloed to jailbreak?
    thanks

Bruce Krouskop3 years, 7 months ago

I’m in the middle of reverting back to 3.0 from 4.0 and QuickPwn22 fails to run. help

Bryan Thompson4 years, 1 month ago

I downloaded Itunes 9, the restore software and connected the iphone. Itunes 9 only recognizes the phone if my tmobile sim card is inserted only to see “The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported” 3.1 is installed and i wish to install the above restore 3.0 software. I have no restore option. Please help

Gustavo Pacheco4 years, 1 month ago

I just tried to unlock my new 3G s iphone, and when rebooted Itunes installed vesion 3.1.3!
    What should I do?

Jhon4 years, 2 months ago

Can we follow the same procedure for reverting back or downgrading iPhone 3.1.3 firmware to iPhone 3.1.2 firmware?

Migz Medina4 years, 1 month ago

mimi4 years, 3 months ago

did anyone ever figure out how to get the mac version for quickpwn 2.2-1??
    i thought it was supposed to work with macs too.

Migz Medina4 years, 1 month ago

try to use itorrent website

Andre4 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Salvador. I cannot get the old firmware to show up in itunes. This program so far is worthless. I’ve gotten further just by watching some youtube tutorials (FREE!!!). I, too, want my money back.

Salvador4 years, 5 months ago

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to return my first generation iphone to the 3.0.1 software version and it just doesn’t work. Itunes does not allow it. After several tries in which I had no option as to which sofware version to restore to, I deleted the 3.1.2 from the iphone software updates file leaving only the 3.0.1 version, but on restore itunes immediately goes on downloading new software version. I disconnected internet and no chance. Very frustrating. Tried to contact you by phone and no answer. It just does not work. I am a seasoned computer user, so its not lack of skills or knowledge, I guess Apple does not allow your unlocking to work anymore. Can I get my money back?

Manuel4 years, 5 months ago

I downloaded the firmware for 2G… which of those files do i have to use? all or just “firmware”?

ricardo4 years, 5 months ago

hey can anyone tell me for sure if i can jailbreak and also unlock the iphone 3gs with the 3.1 software version and 05.11.07 modem firmware???

sherief mohamed4 years, 6 months ago

hey guys,i have a problem,i’m using win 7 and i cant find the directory that you’ve pointed that i should copy the restore ispw to,one more thing,i’m totally new to win 7,so if you’re gonna guide,and i wish you do,plz do it step by step,thank you….waiting ur reply…

Migz Medina4 years, 1 month ago

not necessary to go to that folder…create a folder you can easily remember

Anonymous 1674 years, 6 months ago

If you upgraded a soft-unlocked phone to anything other than 3.0.1 (IE 3.1 or 3.1.2) then you also upgraded the baseband, and are SOL at this point. Period. You cannot go back.

Your only sliver of a chance is that it uses the 5.8 bootloader instead of 5.9 (but it had to have been one of the very few iPhone 3G’s made very early on when it was released.) If this is the case, then you may be able to downgrade the baseband – but probably not.

If it’s a hard-unlocked iPhone, I have no idea why you’re having an issue.

Midhat4 years, 6 months ago

What you mean under step 3.
    3.Now you have to place the downloaded ispw file in the following locations depending upon your Operating System
    Windows Vista: “\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates”
    Do I have to made folder (new one):\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    Midhat

Felix.Hansen4 years, 6 months ago

I have an i-phone 3G 16GB
    Since I upgraded to 3.1, my e-mails are no more working.
    1 exchange acc. and 2 POP acc.
    Now expecting the solution with 3.2. I upgraded.
    But still not working.
    What’s going wrong? What can I do?

iRaymond4 years, 6 months ago

Jaxov, could you please detail a bit on the QuickPwn – ipsw? tried it with 3.0.1 as well as 3.0 … both give firmware error string and it just sux …. i accidentally upgraded a friend’s 3G that he knew is unlocked – bought from a shop in France. it activated like any unlocked phone, and i assumed it’s unlocked. after the unfortunate update, it shows unsupported sim and i just can’t revert back to 3.0.1 no matter what i do. tried with custom ipsw (dl from web as i don’t have a MAC near by)
    i beg of thee, enlighten me … i feel so bad about rendering the phone useless and we are both miles away from civilization – pls don’t ask. i can detail more if required on the things i tried on the phone insofar but the above summarizes pretty well

TIA

Francesca4 years, 6 months ago

I’m getting the firmware error string as well in QuickPwn.

Any suggestions?

norddeutscher4 years, 6 months ago

Did you figure this one out?

Sathish4 years, 6 months ago

For Step 9 – I dont have a AT&T sim with me, will it work without that????

Please reply

Darren4 years, 6 months ago

I’ve upgraded my iPhone 3G from version 2.2 to 3.1. And now is totally lock.
    Tried many times to downgrade it but could not do it. Can anyone let me know is there a possible way to revert it back?

lostapp4 years, 6 months ago

DOES NOT WORK FOR 3G QUICKPWN ERROR FIRMWARE STRING ERROR (WINDOWSUSER)

Fred4 years, 6 months ago

Adria, the same thing happened to me a couple times. I dl the file and suddently, it wasnt there anymore. I guess, and its only a guess, once Itunes started, it would “read” the lastest file (3.1 in my case) and erased the 3.0.1 file we just dl’ed. What I did was just have Itunes openned during the dl of 3.0.1 and once its done, proceed as described here. It workd for me.
    Too bad the restore, the downgrade, erase every little thing on my iphone – from phone numbers to songs i had on it.
    Hope this helps.

iphone user4 years, 6 months ago

You are locked to ATT as the downgrade did not revert the old baseband. You are stuck until a new release of unlock came out.

Kendall Helms4 years, 6 months ago

I have Mac OS X and i cant find the iPhone software updates file. Any advice?

John doe4 years, 6 months ago

i have a 05.11 baseband, i down graded my 3g iphone to 3.0 but my baseband stayed the same, is there any way i can still unlock my 3g iphone?? please help ….

kenny4 years, 6 months ago

anyone try on 3gs ? my 3gs on 3.0 but stuck at apple logo and do not conect to pc
    i can’t do nothing but restore to 3.1
    anyone try on 3gs ?

Gold1674 years, 6 months ago

yeah trying to downgrade ipod touch 2nd gen 3.1 (7C144) can it be done??
    looking for 3.01 which version should I obtain as I’ve seen 7A400 or 7A341

Please help

adria4 years, 6 months ago

ok so i downloaded everything, but i cant seem to find the 3.0 restore software in the folder. everytime i go to click on it, i find nothing. PLEASE HELP

Migz Medina4 years, 1 month ago

trying to help…what was the problem?

saad4 years, 6 months ago

what about ipod touch? can an ipod touch be reverted?

Henning Ras4 years, 6 months ago

Is there a mac os x version of quickpwn 2.2-1?

Marc4 years, 6 months ago

im about to go from 2.2 to 3.0.1 on my iphone 2g. everything seems fine to me but i don’t have an at&t sim card for one of the steps. Do i need it in order for this to work because my iphone is already unlocked atm and im planning to unlock/jailbreak it for 3.0?

Tasty Cakes4 years, 6 months ago

I think they might have patched this. I did exactly this 2 days ago on my 3g and it worked. Trying it now on a friends 3Gs and nothing. The update goes in and it says “your phone is not eligable for the requested build” but when I did my phone 2 days ago said “your phone could not be resotred” as it says up top.

Mike4 years, 6 months ago

Cant i just use an ATT sim (after installing official 3.1) to activate with iTunes, then jailbreak version 3.1 with the custom firmware, and then use Cydia downgrade the baseband so that i can use ultrawhite to unlock? Or can i only jailbreak from firmware 3.0?

Josh4 years, 6 months ago

I tried using this method and it works, but if you downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0.1, you still keep the baseband at 5.11.07. The only problem that I recently ran into was the fact that my wi-fi doesn’t work at all. It connects, but when I log into Safari or Youtube, it says that I’m connected to the internet. Is there a way to fix this?

Josh4 years, 6 months ago

@steve Try downloading the firmware from Firefox. I think you’re trying to download it from Safari; it tends to download things like ipsws as zips.

steve4 years, 6 months ago

I’m trying to revert from 3.1 to 3.01. I have an original phone 3G that has not been jailbroken. I downloaded the zip file for 3.01 but when I try to restore thru Itunes 9.0 it keeps telling me that it’s an incompatible firmware version. When I unzip the compresssed file I don’t see the .IPSW file. Do I need to rename anything or am I missing something ?? I’m trying to do this on a PC running Vista.

I’m really starting to hate Apple.

Bill4 years, 6 months ago

Will this delete photos and contacts?

Joel Rios4 years, 6 months ago

You are a genius, this was the only working guide out on the web that I could test myself and confirm running from 3.1 3g back down to 3.0.1 on two identical phone. This worked great. Very cool.

pandamax4 years, 7 months ago

wow!!!that worked like charm!!! thanks mate

richdo4 years, 7 months ago

Is there a mac os x version of quickpwn 2.2-1??

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

@tdot and tx350z: Now you can downgrade your iPhone 3GS from firmware 3.1 to 3.0. Click here

tx350z4 years, 7 months ago

Can anyone verify wether this restore process works for the 3GS? I’ve heard rumors that the 3GS cannot be reverted to 3.0.1 software, only the 3G phones.

Migz Medina4 years, 1 month ago

to revert or downgrade use 3.1.2

tdot4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the informative post, appreciate it.
    Do you know if it is possible to revert to even earlier versions of the OS? I have an iPhone 3G with OS 3.0.1, and it is noticeably slower than OS version 2.x. I wish to revert to 2.x – can I use this method you’ve posted herE?

Climber1084 years, 4 months ago

I tried updating my 2g unlocked and jail broken iPhone to 3.0, but failed the process and accidentaly updated to 3.1 now its requiring a sim card to the american network its originally from. this stops me from seeing the window allowing me to restore the iphone. can any one help me revert my phone to 3.0 so i can jailbreak and unlock it?

Price3 years, 11 months ago

I have a similar problem, I don’t have then original sim card and cant get to the “Restore” option because Itunes is asking me to activate my phone