Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Mozilla has released an update for Firefox 3.5.2. Previously we shared tutorial about how you can update Firefox to version 3.5.2. In this tutorial, i will assume that you have already installed Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 and you want to upgrade it to version 3.5.3. In case you have Ubuntu's version of Firefox (you haven't upgraded in past) then you have to skip only one command in the steps below. The rest of the procedure is same for all versions.

Update : How To Upgrade / Install Firefox 3.5.4 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Upgrade To Firefox 3.5.3

1. Open Mozilla Firefox and check its current version by navigating to Help->About Mozilla Firefox
  2. 3915651701 053381bd36 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Firefox-3.5.2 Detected

3. Download Firefox 3.5.3 and save firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2 to your desktop. And close all windows of Firefox
  4. 3915653359 434e0249e6 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Save Firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2

5. Now this is important step. If you have Firefox version 3.5.1, 3.5.2 or any other version 3.5.x installed on your system then use the command below. If you have already Ubuntu's version of Firefox then skip the following command
  6. sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox

3915654133 5a4ba9d0af o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Reverting Back To Ubuntu's Firefox

The command above will downgrade your current version of Mozilla Firefox to the Ubuntu's default Firefox version which is necessary for all those who have upgraded their Firefox for at least once in past. After you will execute the above command, you will notice that your Firefox will be restored to its default version i-e Firefox 3.0.8 in Ubuntu 9.04.

3915652099 476a80f798 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Ubuntu's Version of Firefox

7. Right-click on firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2 and choose Cut/Copy
  8. 3915653809 c2879c325a o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Cut Firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2

9. Go to your home directory by navigating to Places->Home and paste it there
  10. 3915652913 d02a2e85a6 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Open Home Folder

3915653261 44a2cefb1e o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Paste Firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2

11. Open Terminal by navigating to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and paste the following command
  12. if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/firefox ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla ]]; then cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt && rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins && sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox && sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

3916438566 214c41e53a o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Final Command To Install Firefox

13. After the above command will be executed completely, restart Mozilla Firefox
  14. 3915651929 14b627ee50 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Firefox-3.5.3 Installed

15. You can now check its version by again navigating to Help->About Mozilla Firefox.. Now it will be version 3.5.3 :)
  16. 3915652469 70e1092b46 o Install / Upgrade Firefox 3.5.3 In Ubuntu (Linux)

Firefox-3.5.3 Updated

Tidbits : Install Adobe Air | Google Chrome | Chromium | MSN Messenger in Ubuntu

varma3 years, 11 months ago

good, it's working….

Franz4 years, 5 months ago

I struggled with the flashplayer issue for a few days then struck on a different approach.

1. Back up your bookmarks.
    2. Write down any passwords Firefox may have kept.
    3. Fully delete the file ~/.mozilla or rename it to .mozillaold
    4. Start up Firefox again and everything should work.

It’s my belief that the old profile file is not compatible with the upgrade.

jvto4 years, 5 months ago

also i try reinstall but not work

Jaxov4 years, 4 months ago

First use the command in step 1 and then use step 2 command…

jvto4 years, 5 months ago

i follow your steps. now firefox not working. why???? i use ubuntu 8.04

Jeff4 years, 6 months ago

I follow these directions and Firefox 3.5.3 installs correctly however it can no longer use it to access the web. I have tried going through the settings but cannot find anything that might cause that. I am still able to access using Epiphany. thanks

Ben4 years, 6 months ago

I have the same problem as Jeff. Since upgrading following your guide FF no longer connects, I have no problem in any other browser. Any ideas?

Ben4 years, 6 months ago

I’ve just found the solution, sorry should have googled first. Try disabling netword.dns.disableIPv6 (set it to false). To change it enter about:config in the address bar and search for the value.

Amr Ahmed4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks a lot for this information about installing Firefox , i suffering to find this and now i use a latest V of Firefox , finally i want to help me to install any programs because i’m a new user of Linux , than you very match .

abe4 years, 6 months ago

awesome! wrks like a charm. thank you

Santiago Galindo4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you very much!!!!!!
    works perfect

kunal4 years, 6 months ago

Good work. It really did work in a matter of few moments. Thanks for nice thread.

Joaquim4 years, 6 months ago

Espectacular
    Mesmo em ingles deu para perceber perfeitamente
    Congratulations, you are the best
    Ubuntu forever!!!

Rafael4 years, 6 months ago

Jakov,

I was able to upgrade Firefox without any issues, but for some reason after applying your method I am not able to use Japanese Input in Firefox anymore.I have tried downgrading but it did not help.The only way i could get it fixed was to completely remove all the Firefox packages, removing prefs and installing the default Ubuntu version. I don’t know what happened…
    I would really appreciate your help in this matter.
    Thanks!

Jaxov4 years, 4 months ago

Its beacuse you have downloaded Firefox setup which don’t support Japanese..

Lee Ferree4 years, 7 months ago

Everything here worked great, but the update manager is bugging me with Firefox 3.0 updates. Any idea how to hide them? Here’s the packages it wants to update, which of course won’t work:

firefox
    firefox-3.0
    firefox-3.0-branding
    firefox-3.0-gnome-support
    firefox-gnome-support

Thanks for your great post!

Lee Ferree4 years, 6 months ago

The update problem appears to have fixed itself. I just love it when that happens. O.o

Noisemaker4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for this guide, it was very easy to follow and it worked well. :)

Tony4 years, 7 months ago

i manage to go back to 3.0.14 Jaxov Thanks

rubyson4 years, 7 months ago

I installed to successfull. Thank you so much.

Amikam4 years, 7 months ago

Be blessed, dude ! Thanks a lot for the explanation,

I wish i could to know how to use the terminal commands as you do it !

Where can i study it, i’m beginner in Ubuntu, can you give some tips for beginner please ?

Thanks again ;)

neveruse4 years, 7 months ago

Anyone have a clue on how to install the 64 bit flash player 10 with 3.5.3? I’ve got it working fine and dandy on a parallel install of 3.5.2. What a mess…

Hellyes4 years, 7 months ago

It actually worked… Thank you so much. Can i update i future releases using the same command in step 6?

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah. Follow same procedure for every update until its 3.5.x
      Enjoy

Klaas4 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to get back to you this fast… After I entered the commands you explained in the article and started firefox again, much to my surprise I got the message “The program ‘firefox’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0
    bash: firefox: command not found”

So, I entered the command:
    sudo apt-get –reinstall install firefox-3.0

This got me back to version 3.0.14. Synaptic Package Manager however tells me that 3.5 is installed. I just have no freakin’ clue as to where it may have been installed, since I can only see a version 3.0.14…

Your help would be _greatly_ appreciated, since I find version 3.0.14 to be buggy; it has crashed about 9 times already today. You can see this is starting to piss me off quite a bit… Hope you can help!

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

@Klass: Can you please tell me the output at your terminal when you type the command in step 6?

Klaas4 years, 7 months ago

Hi Jaxov, How are we mere mortals supposed to know all this? I was going crazy before I found your explanation. Thanks for that, it is much appreciated!
    After ‘upgrading’ to v3.5 I still found that my About Mozilla Firefox still displayed version v3.0.14. I wonder how you know all this; it’s magic to me! ;-)

ZAH3R4 years, 7 months ago

thanks
    it’s too long way ^^
    still use firefox 3.0.14

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

@SGL: Thanks, its fixed now.

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

@Tony Use terminal command in step 3.

Tony4 years, 7 months ago

how i can go back to firefox 3.0.14 and reinstal flash

SGL4 years, 7 months ago

The download link for 3.5.2 is for the Macos X version not Ubuntu.

Tony4 years, 7 months ago

firefox 3.5.3 it works but the adobe plugin no what can i do? ubuntu 9.04 x64 pls help my

Save the above procedure, its valid for all Firefox 3.x.x updates!