How To Install Google Chrome [CRX] Extensions

Installing Google Chrome extension [CRX Format] is just a single click process if you have already configured Google Chrome for extensions. Previously we shared article about how to install PageRank extension in Google Chrome, this time we would like to share how you can install Gmail extension in Google Chrome. We also shared tutorials about using Google Chrome Gresemonkey Scripts in Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu (Linux). If you are interested in developing Google Chrome extensions, then proceed to here.

3929413502 bc9463d858 o How To Install Google Chrome [CRX] Extensions

Tidbit : View And Download Top 10 Google Chrome Extensions / Plugins
Tidbit : Click Here To Know How To Use Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome?

Steps To Install Gmail Extension

1. Download and install Google Chrome Developers Version
  2. Go to desktop and right-click on Google Chrome (Shortcut icon), choose Properties in the target field add --enable-extensions in the end. Click OK after adding the code.
  3. 'C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' --enable-extensions

3928630383 12e60783a8 o How To Install Google Chrome [CRX] Extensions

4. Now open Google Chrome and click here to install Gmail extension. [Gmail CRX]
  5. You will be prompted to save and then install Gmail extension. Click Install button.
  6. 3928630493 9f60c3ff99 o How To Install Google Chrome [CRX] Extensions

7. You will see Gmail Extension in action. No need to restart.

3929413860 3153b8850a o How To Install Google Chrome [CRX] Extensions

chrome.crx2 years, 10 months ago

plz solved this problem

Mike3 years ago

That doesn’t work.. It just asks to save again and again.

Péter4 years, 8 months ago

Oops!

I’ve got it here

Péter4 years, 8 months ago

Hello!

I have added the –enable-extensions where you say, then installed the Gmail notifier extension successfully, but it doesn’t notfy me of new e-mails.
    My Vista taskbar (tray) is the same as before.

John McCoy5 years, 1 month ago

A few more details might help, I am using Win XP Home and the latest Dev Channel Chrome as of about an hour ago. Alternatiff asks for the destination folder and although I know where to find Chrome (C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome) the folder in particular I need to throw this in is the problem.

John McCoy5 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I know it’s possible because I had it working but can’t seem to now. I use alternatiff (http://www.alternatiff.com/) for work daily and while it will work fine in FF I prefer Chrome for speed’s sake, the problem is I can’t for the life of me figure out how to install this plugin, any help although off topic, sorry, would be greatly appreciated. Basically I just need to know where to throw the file so Chrome will recognize it as a plugin.

dave5 years, 2 months ago

I have found the solution to my problem, you have to uncheck the “ask where to save files” option in under the hood.

dave5 years, 2 months ago

So I am updated to the dev channel (4.0.213.1), and I changed the target to have the –enable-extensions at the end of the target.

However when I click on the .crx links I just get a prompt to save the file rather than one which installs an extension.

I am running xp service pack 3

any ideas?

Jaxov5 years, 2 months ago

It will ask you to install once you save CRX files…. So first you have to save and the you will be automatically prompted to install it by Google Chrome…

Ravs3 years, 8 months ago

I am using Windows 7 64bit, have loaded chrome need to install CRX theme. I have .crx file in my pc.

Just drag and drop the CRX file in Google Chrome now. There is no need to do the steps above as Google Chrome natively supports CRX extensions now.

Kanaan2 years, 2 months ago

Drag and drop the CRX file in the Chrome extensions page (not any page)

Kj1 year, 10 months ago