How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

Accessing files in Firefox cache is never too easy. May be because location of cache folder is not known to every one. Even if you know the cache location, you wont be able to access files as they are all encrypted. Previously we shared an easy way to access Firefox cache files in Microsoft windows, how ever this time i will explain how you can access Firefox cache files in Ubuntu (Linux).

1. Download and install Wine (Click here for instructions)
  2. Download MozillaCacheView.zip and extract MozillaCacheView.exe on your desktop
  3. Right click on it and choose Open with Wine Windows Program Loader
  4. 3929327401 ecbd3f4b6c o How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

5. Now you have to find the drive (wrt Wine) in which Mozilla Firefox cache is located. How to do that? Once MozillaCacheView.exe is launched, click on the File menu and Select Cache Folder, now choose My Compter and then choose the drive in which Ubuntu is installed
  6. Thats it. Note down your drive letter. In my case its Z:
  7. 3930108378 d65d7bee93 o How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

3929327091 7d68fe5826 o How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

8. Open Mozilla Firefox and type about:cache in address bar
  9. Copy location in front of Cache Directory
  10. 3929327853 d874056fc6 o How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

11. Now get back to MozillaCacheView and again choose Select Cache Folder. Type your drive letter followed by the address you copied.
  12. Z:\home/jaxov/.mozilla/firefox/snd3pd9y.default/Cache

3930107860 119e0d0491 How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

13. Click OK and now you will see all files of Firefox cache in your MozillaCacheView window. You may choose and save any file from the list.
  14. 3930108466 d01c59b771 How To Access Mozilla Firefox Cache In Ubuntu (Linux)

I used the above method to download MegaVideo and YouTube videos from Firefox cache in Ubuntu. Although cache address seems awkward but it works :D

PedroVemba9 months ago

I tried the instructions above and worked for me. I am using ubuntu 10.4. At first it will output nothing “Wolf” and “Craig” had the same problem. All you have to do is to restart your ubuntu host and go through the process again and it worked for me at last.

Florin2 years, 9 months ago

I’ve tried this solution but it did not work for me. But there is another one in the comments here that worked:

Put the script in .gnome2/nautilus-scripts and make it executable. Then allow the flash to buffer and right click->Scripts->your-script-name and run that script. It will copy the running video as a .flv file in the current directory.

craig2 years, 11 months ago

I also followed the instructions to the letter and it didn’t work (well I had to right click the exe file and mark executable). haven’t restarted my computer at all, if that’s what “Wolf” meant by “I’ve had the same problem, but after few restarts everything is OK”. I’ve restarted the program a couple times and it still doesn’t work. I’m using Firefox 4.0. I don’t see why restarting the computer a couple of times would get it to work.

Jonathan3 years, 6 months ago

no luck here … windoze proggies already resident on the ‘doze partition run fine under WINE in my ubuntu 10.10 version but they won’t install from scratch, i get an error msg regarding some sort of executable bit that’s dangerous to run … zzz only workaround i know of is to install it in native ‘doze, then run under WINE

bahha3 years, 5 months ago

i had the same problem but i solved it by right click then permession allow executing file as programme and it worked

niyas3 years, 6 months ago

hi all
    i am using ubuntu 10.04
    i can get all streamed cached videos from youtube on /tmp folder of file system!!!!
    no need to install or download any s/w further.
    copy flv videos from /tmp folder and save on location u need
    thanks in advance

brian4 years, 8 months ago

i followed the above instructions to the letter but did NOT get the same results as the author! after selecting the drive, which is also in my case Z:, i then copied the location from FF cache which was located in the browser after about:cache was typed in the URL. now it simply does nothing. i hit ‘F9′ to see if it will start reading the cached files but it still does nothing.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

brianmparks

wolf3 years, 6 months ago

I’ve had the same problem, but after few restarts everything is OK.

Aniqa4 years, 8 months ago

Thankyou very much… Nice and clean instructions. Well executed…