As we all know that Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 has been released and is available for download. Several security issues and image rendering problems are now fixed. So its highly recommended to update your Firefox to version 3.5.2 as this version more stable and secure than the previous one. Here is a small tutorial about how you can update your Mozilla Firefox to version 3.5.2 in Ubuntu? All you need is to download and type one command in terminal. It will do the rest for you. You can also apply this procedure to update your Firefox in case of future updates released by Mozilla.
Follow these simple steps to get started:
- Download Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 and save firefox3.5.2.tar.bz2 on your desktop
- Check the current version of Mozilla Firefox by navigating to Help->About Mozilla Firefox.
- Now this is important step. If you have Firefox version 3.5.0, 3.5.1 or any other version 3.5.x installed on your system then use the command below. If you have already Ubuntu's version of Firefox (as shown in the screenshot above) then skip the following command
- Now click Places->Computer
- Choose Desktop from the sidebar and right click on firefox3.5.2.tar.bz2 file and choose Cut.
- Now Click Ubuntu from the sidebar and paste firefox3.5.2.tar.bz2 file there.
- Click Applications->Accessories->Terminal
- Now copy the code below
- After copying paste it into the terminal command line as shown in the photo below.
- Make sure there are no trailing spaces. Hit Enter to execute
- It will update all files of the current version of Mozilla Firefox. The whole process takes less than 15 seconds.
- Its done. When you will open your Firefox it will be the updated version.
sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
The command above will downgrade your current version of Mozilla Firefox to the Ubuntu's version of Firefox which is necessary for all those who have upgraded their Firefox for at least once in past. After you will execute the above command, you will notice that your Firefox will be restored to its default version i-e Firefox 3.0.8 in Ubuntu 9.04.
if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/firefox ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla ]]; then cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt && rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins && sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox && sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
Update: Firefox 3.5.3 Released. Click here for installation instructions for Ubuntu (Linux)
Update: Firefox 3.5.4 Released. Click here for installation instructions for Ubuntu (Linux)
Update: Firefox 3.5.5 Released. Click here for installation instructions for Ubuntu (Linux)
Update: Firefox 3.6.3 Released. Click here for installation instructions for Ubuntu (Linux)