The disadvantage of blocking any website through windows hosts file is that anyone can edit hosts file to remove the restrictions as it is not password protected. However blocking websites in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox is way too easy and much more reliable as the list of the restricted websites is now password protected. No one can change settings except administrator. So here is a step by step guide to block any website in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
How To Block Websites In Internet Explorer
- Open any Internet Explorer and navigate to Tools->Internet Options. Click on the Content tab. In the Content Advisor panel, click on Enable
- In the Content Advisor window, click on the Approved Sites tab and write the name of the website you want to block. You may use * to block all sub domains of that website. For example you want to block Facebook in Internet Explorer, all you need is to type *.facebook.com in the text box and click the Never button.
- Now click the General tab in the same window and check the box followed by "Users can see sites that have no rating". Click on the Create Password button and set new password.
- Now try to open www.facebook.com in your Internet Explorer and it will show the following dialog box asking for the administrator password.
How To Block Websites In Mozilla Firefox
- Install ProCon Latte - The best FireFox addon to block any website for inappropriate content. After installation restart Mozilla Firefox.
- Navigate to Tools->ProCon and then check all four check boxes in the General Settings. Also set new password by clicking the Set Password button.
- Now click on the Main Filter tab and then Edit List button. All you have to do is to add the names of the domains you want to block in the Blocked Sites list. You can also import and export list in the form of text files. Click on Apply button after adding and then close the preferences window. Next time you will be asked to enter the password to edit the preferences of this plugin.
- Now type www.facebook.com in the address bar and it will display the following info bar instead of opening the website.
Hope you have liked the methods. If you think you have better way to block websites in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox then please do share with us in comments.Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback