How To Use Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome?

No doubt Greasemonkey is one of the most famous Mozilla Firefox addon. Thousands of Greasemonkey scripts are available for download at userscripts.org. Good news is that now you can use Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome too. All those customizations you used to do in Mozilla Firefox through Greasemonkey can now be done in Google Chrome also. Here is a step by step procedure of using Gresemonkey Scripts in Google Chrome.

Google Chrome Greasemonkey How To Use Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome?

Follow these simple steps to use Greasemonkey in Google Chrome

1. Download the latest trunk build of Chromium. There are many new builds of Chromium every day, you may download the latest one. I used 21902.
  2. After downloading chrome-win32.zip, extract it to any desired location i-r C:\chrome-win32
  3. Go to your C drive and create a new folder, rename it to scripts, so that C:\scripts exists.
  4. Now right click on the chrome.exe in the extracted folder and select Send To->Desktop (create shortcut).
  5. Once there is a shortcut to chrome.exe on your desktop, right-click on it and choose properties.
  6. In the Target field append the value by adding --enable-user-scripts --user-data-dir=c:\scripts at the end as shown in the screenshot below
  7. Chromium Properties How To Use Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome?

8. Hit OK and restart Chromium for once, Chromium will automatically create a folder named Default in C:\scripts which basically contains data files for Chromium default user profile.
  9. There will a folder named User Scripts in C:\scripts\Default\ where Greasemonkey scripts will be placed.
  10. Now in-order to use a Greasemonkey script just place *.user.js file in C:\scripts\Default\User Scripts\ and restart Chromium. Ur done...!!!

How to test that your Greasemonkey script is working or not?

1. Download "Favicons for Google Reader [Zipped]" user script. This Greasemonkey script automatically decorates the Google Reader subscription list with icons corresponding to the website from which each feed originates.
  2. After downloading the zip file, extract GoogleReader.user.js
  3. Place GoogleReader.user.js into C:\scripts\Default\User Scripts\
  4. Restart chromium and you will see the favicons of all the websites you have subscribed to in your Google reader

Favicons In RSS How To Use Greasemonkey Scripts In Google Chrome?

Update: Click here to learn how to install Greasemonkey scripts in Google Chrome with just a single click!

neagigi bekli2 years, 7 months ago

use tampermonkey to run scripts
    just click it’s icon -> add new script -> paste content -> save

chrome has now built-in support, but :
    “”"
    Known issues:
    Chromium does not support @require, @resource, unsafeWindow, GM_registerMenuCommand, GM_setValue, or GM_getValue.
    GM_xmlhttpRequest is same-origin only.
    “”"
    tampermonkey runs my scripts like charm… and supports these functions!
    don’t install scripts (*.user.js) from chrome, but from tampermonkey

Santos B. Angeles2 years, 11 months ago

I’m plying games at facebook the game i played is kingdom of camelot. i already have a greasemonkey in firefox which is working properly like the falcon tools and the power bot which is the auto build of kingdom of camelot. i wish that some of the scripts that i’m using in firefox 4.0 will also be usefull in chrome. the scripts that i’m using in firefox is 97371 that is the falcon tools and the 23216 the power bot. i hope this two scripts will also work here on chrome….

The Greasemonkey engine in Chrome only support basic GM scripts and this is the reason i am still on Firefox :(

Akshay3 years ago

I get an error saying that–>’The name C:\chrome.exe–enable-user-scripts’specified in the target box is not valid.Make sure the path and file name are correct’.
    What should I do??Help!!

Wolverine3 years ago

Do not use this guide anymore. Now Chrome by default support GM scripts. Just drag the script file into any Chrome window and you’ll be able to install it just like Chrome extensions. Cheers!

jaswinder Kaalam4 years, 1 month ago

Hi, how about instructions for those running beta chrome under mac os x? that would really be helpful. Thanks for the great article!

Ansis4 years, 1 month ago

I do all stuff that You meaned, but scripts are not working fo Ikariam game :( maybe you could help me…?!

Annoyed4 years, 1 month ago

How annoying.

I am using the latest version of Chromium. I couldn’t get anything to work. Google should just make this work – all this messing about – there is far too much that can go wrong.

The instructions assume you are a google reader user, because I followed everything and I can’t see those icons anywhere – where should someone look?

Anyway – why are the extensions not correctly showing in the installed list? I have others listed there (installed directly from userscripts) but ‘my’ scripts – the ones I don’t want to share with the world, don’t.)

Most users will want a button, or functionality on a par with FF – it is not accurate to say ‘now greasemonkey scripts work in Chrome’ (though you are not alone in doing so) – it’s more accurate to say ‘you can spend a few hours time fiddling around making directories and copying javascript files, effectively starting again with a chrome install/profile, and SOME handful of scripts might work.

Chris4 years, 2 months ago

This is really a great thing you’ve done here. However, I’m still having problems. Found out in the original guide I had to come here.

I get through steps 1-6 fine, but as soon as I get to Step 7, I get an error message: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2696/scr0576893.jpg

It won’t let me do anything except change the file name regardless of where the folder is. I just don’t have a clue what to do.

I’m using Build 36613, and Windows 7 64-bit. Any help is appreciated!

Jaxov4 years, 2 months ago

The is a syntax error in target field: No drive letter specified.

make sure its --enable-user-scripts --user-data-dir=c:\scripts

Dwayne4 years, 3 months ago

Great. Finally Greasemonkey working in Google Chrome. Thankyou

Nephrite4 years, 3 months ago

I can’t find the ‘User Scripts’ folder in the ‘Default’ folder. Do I have to create it myself?

Spec4 years, 4 months ago

Blufer4 years, 5 months ago

it works fine!

Why does some scripts don’t work? How can I change the scripts so that it will work?

or what does not be in such scipt to work in chrome?

Jessica4 years, 6 months ago

I followed all your instructions but it still is not working for me. I extracted GoogleReader to user scripts but when I ever click on it comes up with an error : Object expected. The source is Microsoft JScript runtime error. Everything is working like you say until Step 4 in the test Greasemonkey. No favicons. Sigh..please help.

Jaxov4 years, 5 months ago

You are using incompatible version of Chromium. Please use the latest one.

Rokie4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks. Clean instructions. It worked for me…

paisano4 years, 7 months ago

Good instructions. It works but it does something weird. The toolbar in Chrome disappears whenever I leave the initial screen/homepage. Not sure why.
    It also loses all the settings I had setup for themes and my bookmarks.
    When I remove the –enable-user-scripts –user-data-dir=c:\scripts everything is back to normal because it’s accessing my regular user info. I wish there was a way to enable greasemonkey scripts without starting all over again. I tried pointing the c:\scripts folder to the location of my current setup but then the scripts don’t work.
    Why can’t Google just give us a simple on/off option for this?

Jaxov4 years, 7 months ago

@Paisano: Its working fine on my side. You may try these instructions:
      1..Go to Chromium tools and then choose “Always show bookmarks toolbar”
      2..Create a folder named “scripts” in D drive this time
      3..Use this in target field –enable-user-scripts –user-data-dir=D:\scripts

Jaxov4 years, 8 months ago

@Mike : All the builds after 21902 supports GM. So no need to update again and again as Chromium them releases several builds each day…

Mike4 years, 8 months ago

Do I have to periodically update my Chromium by manually downloading the newest trunk builds?